Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Butt and Stew Review

MarkMark Posts: 295
edited 10:17AM in EggHead Forum
Just thought I would take a moment to praise JJ and his rub and also Red for his Brunswick Stew. Made a batch of JJ's rub and put it on a medium size butt, which was then heavily "slathered" in Grey Poupon mustard. It went on the Egg just after dawn, when I returned about eight hour's later I found the dome temp. had gone up to 300 and the polder temp. was 203 with the alarm just howling. It was then taken off and aloud to sit for a couple hours. [p]With the leftover's Red's stew was made, this is undoubtedly some of the best BBQ and stew I've ever had. To top it all off "I made it".
Next time I think I will try cooking bread with it, have some sour dough starter that need to be used. Anyone have any experience with sour dough starter, need all the help I can get.[p]Mark

·

Comments

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Mark,[p]Use caution with breads in the Egg. They absorb smoke really easily and if you don't like smokey bread you may not like it(same with potatoes). I always avoid wood when doing pizza and try to get the Egg pretty clean to avoid any extra smoke, 10-13 min at 600 deg with the plate setter and pizza stone in the Egg does the job pretty well. Glad the butt came out - see, its easy to do and you can not hardly screw it up. Congrads!![p]Tim
    ·
  • Mark,
    e-mail me and I'll give you a recipe that has been a family favorite for years! A "deer shack" favorite too!

·
  • GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Why not post it here for all of us to enjoy? I would be very interested in reviewing it myself. (Please)

·
  • Mark, it's better than you had imagined I'll bet. You can post your certificate for your Masters Degree in Butt on your deck. KornGratulations.

·
  • Bob,
    It ain't "Q", but I've got no problem with that! I'll get it done this afternoon!

·