Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need wisdom from the Masters

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I ut my large egg together and cooked for the first time. LIFE CHANGING! I have a few questions for the more experienced, answers to any will be most appreciated.[p]-Despite what instructions said, there didn't seem to be a way to put a screw thru the nest into the egg itself, supposedly to secure it. Am I missing something?
-How is one to adjust the top vent if you don't purchase optional wheel top?
-I could get regular lump, only mesquite lump. I didn't add flavoring chips but smoke flavor was quite aggressive (although delicious). Is that particular to mesquite lump?
-What's easiest way to re-lite for next time?[p]THANKS

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p]Welcome to the family and forum.[p]I am not aware of the nest being bolted to the Egg. Both of my sit nicely with the confines of the nest.[p]A top vent control (daisey or combination) is a nice addition to your Egg. You can use the ceramic rain cap by tilting it over the top. Just remember to remove it before opening the Egg or it will fall off (the regular tops don't). A brick, piece of metal, or anything that can take the heat can be used to control the top opening.[p]Of all the lump charcoals available, mesquite provides the strongest natural smoke flavor.[p]I've come to use a propane torch with a regulator. Lots of clean heat for quick starts.[p]Spin

• Tanker Tim
    Options
    Bud Jones,
    I don't have the nest but did notice two holes one each side when I was installing my auto-lock band, I believe you need to take the lower band off and put the mounting screws through the inside of the band pointing out, don't forget when you go to resecure the band that there is a guide pin on the front of the band and a small recess for it on the egg. [p]Also when ever someone unfamiliar with the BGE comes over, be sure and give them an orientation on how it works. (This will prevent curious minds from popping the top open as soon as your back is turned and letting it free fall closed)[p]The only adjustment with the ceramic top is open (off) or closed (on) I've heard of several BGE Jedi Masters (JJ I think) that don't use a top at all. A good short term fix that was pointed out to me way back when, is to use the cut off top of a coffee can or some similar device that will allow you to close the hole on top. A Swanky Eyetalian terra cotta pot holder would also do the trick![p]Mesquite does have some bite to it, I only us it for brisket or cooking steaks. When you use other types of lump the taste will be mellower.[p]The way I relite, is take the ash tool and stir the remaining lump as this helps to clear the ash out of the fire box, but don't get to carried away or you could cause the grate to become lopsided and then you'll need to clean out all the ash/lump mixture and start over (been there done that)[p]Congratulations on getting an Egg, don't be afraid to ask ANY question. This place will reduce the learning curve to nil. [p]Good luck[p]TT

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p]Welcome to Eggland.[p]No, you don't bolt to the Egg. They just sit in them.[p]You should plan on getting a slide/daisy top. It does all temps from 200-750 deg. It makes better use of the lump and provides easier control over a wide range of temps. The rain cap I use for snuffing the fire and storage.[p]I don't like mesquite lump as it does and a taste and when combined with hichory it becomes quite bitter to my tounge. I avoid it and add mesquite wood if I need it.[p]I like the Webber fire cubes. I put them under the grate for grilling fires and on top of the lump for lo and slo fires. These are small white cubes and come 24 to a box for <$5.[p]Tim
  • Franco
    Franco Posts: 88
    Options
    Tim M, explain to me what temperatures you would call grillin versus slow. With the pizza I'm doing tonight at 550 degrees would you start below the grate or on top the lump?[p]Thanks, Frank

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Franco,[p]Anything above 250 is grilling to me.[p]Tim