Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Mini is 'schmoeking' ;)

Options
Rumrunner
Rumrunner Posts: 563
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found a lonely piece of Ahi in the freezer. Decided to experiment with a spread for next weekend's company. Coated the tuna with sesame oil and a good rub of DP Raging River. [p]Not really smoking, but a nice indirect at 275-300° with a maple chunk for smoke. I found a 6" cast iron skillet to use as a heat barrrier.[p]tunaspread1.jpg[p]Here we are after 45 min, flipped once. Will let it cool, then shred and try Border's recipe for tuna spread posted the other day. Thanks Scott ;)[p]tunaspread2.jpg

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Rumrunner,[p]I have about a 4 or 5 pound chunk of Ahi that has been frozen for 4 months, should be enough for 6 or 8 good steaks. I need to do something with it. Do you have any general cooking tips or more importantly, things to stay away from. I'm thinking of inviting several folks over and do several different style cooks & maybe smoking some too.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rumrunner
    Options
    thirdeye, to tell you the truth, I know nothing about fish. I can't even grill the Ahi without over cooking it ;)[p]Ahi should be seared, hot and quick, probably pulled from the grill at 125° internal. The last two times..1)skunk made an appearance and drove me away from the grill for a couple minutes=over done. 2) Niece and nephew showed up with gifts as I was getting ready to pull from grill=over done. I figgered this time I would just go ahead and smoke it over done to make spread with. And, it's good ;)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Rumrunner,[p]Thanks for honestly answering and not "blowin' smoke".[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Rumrunner, You're welcome. I'm betting it will be a winner.
    Scott

• Rumrunner
    Options
    Borders , it was...thank you. I followed recipe most of the way....[p]1 6-8 oz tuna fillet, previously smoked or grilled, cooled
    1 TBS minced sweet onion
    1-2 TBS Sweet Pickle Relish
    4-5 drops hot sauce
    ground black pepper to taste
    2-3 drops of lemon juice
    2 TBS Mayo, or to your desired texture.[p]Shred tuna and mix well with other ingredients. Serve with crakcers or pita chips. [p]It was good room temp. I've got the rest in the fridge to see how it tastes manana ;)