Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

A Good Long Smoke

Anthony Up NorthAnthony Up North Posts: 205
edited 4:30AM in EggHead Forum
I tried wood chips soaked and they seem to peter out in 10-15 minutes. I have found a good way to create smoke for a longer time. I like maple and oak. We have plenty growing in any area here. [p]I cut branches that are about 2 inches thick. Cut them into lenghs of about three inches. Split them in half. Then when I'm readay I put a bunch in a coffee can full of water, where they set for a while. When the fire is nice and hot and just before I put the meat on, I slip to or three on the fire. I leave the others in the water.[p]They smoke for about 30 minutes. I have one of these cheap weber grids that both side flip up. So if I want more smoke I flip one of the sides up, and put on another 2-3 strips for another half hour of smoke.[p]Works real well.[p]Anthony

Comments

• Anthony Up North,[p]I've done a simular thing using maple logs I use for the fireplace. Just slit, then cut on the tablesaw into 5" long peices. I don't soak them. Rather I put a few on right after I get the fire started and they seem to smoke the whole hour or two that I use the egg.