Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help!!!

Options
Seattle Todd
Seattle Todd Posts: 227
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK advice would be a better title. In preparation for the playoff tomorrow I'm smoking a whole brisket and 3 butts. I was going to use the good Dr.'s brisket method and for some reason I can't find his book! I remember exactly where it was last and I'm suspecting either I took it to work once and left it or it fell into the hands of my two year old who proceeded to re-organize in regards to where cookbooks should be kept.[p]I'm obviously not going to ask anyone to post Ray's method. But does anyone have a fav technique or recipe? Brisket is the only thing that I've never really nailed. I've fortunately never had any that was bad but it's the one thing that most BBQ joints still do better than I can on the BGE. I'd like to get a more tender brisket and I've never basted/sprayed or wrapped in foil. I suspect the latter in particular will help out. Biggest question is about how long before it's done should I wrap it?[p]BEST OF LUCK TO THE HAWKS AND THE SKINS TOMORROW!!! [p]Todd

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Yo Todd,
    I don't have Ray's book on hand, but I'll throw out a couple idears. You have the egg, so you won't need to wrap it in foil. If you want to, you can, but I never have. Just set it up indirect, like you do your butts, but I like to cook a little lower than butts. If you are getting 220 at your grate level, that is good. Won't hurt a bit to start it out hotter to get things moving, then when the meat heats thru....say a 2 or 3 hours, start notching it back. If you are going by dome, 250-275 to start...then knock 'er on down more toward 225 or 230. You'll need some time....10 hours or thereabouts for a small flat (you didn't say how big yours was) or 18 hours or so for a 12 pound packer. [p]Just let it roll until it's tender. If you keep it nice and slow, it might be tender when it hits 180 internal. But more likely it will be around 190. Anyways, when it feels tender to the poke take it off and wrap it in foil and stick it in a cooler until you are gettin around to eatin' time. Hopefully it gets about 3 hours in the cooler, but if it's 1 hour it'll still be some good eatin.[p]Hail to the Redskins! Hey, I hear it's a 10 point spread now? Hee.
    Happy brisketeering.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the tips, Chris! I bought a whole packer at about 13 lbs. I did split it up into the point and the flat which should slow it some. As soon as I got the time I of course checked out DPBQ.com to check out your recipe and that got me goin'. I got my fingers crossed. Unfortunately the only 'butt' I could get was cross-cut shoulder roasts. More surface area for bark at least and they'll cook quicker.[p]The brisket is on with Jack D. chips and DP RedEye and the PP is going in a second with the course ground original.[p]Here's to breakin' the 21 year curse! I'm pretty sure that my Hawks will win tomorrow but I'd be an idiot and disrepectful to say that I think they'll be the spread. Been thinking of good PNW products to send you down.[p]Beers to ya![p]Todd