Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Wood for Cured Salmon.

Options
WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to smoke Cardog's salmon tonight and discovered I'm very low on smoking wood. I have cherry, apple and oak. I'm out of the plum I normally use.
Has anyone used one of these woods to smoke salmon and liked the results?
Also, does anyone have any plum they'd like to barter for black cherry or apple?
Thanks.[p]John

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    WooDoggies, I believe that it is thirdeye that finishes his salmon with cherry. A local fish smokery uses nothing but oak for all its fish including salmon and they do a great job with it. But, as you know oak can be powerful.[p]I would go with cherry if it were me. I love the stuff and am using more often that anything, especially when I'm unsure, like you are. [p]Not sure about apple.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    I like apple and been happy with the results with salmon. Now, what kind of plum ya using? I might need to trim a beach plum so I can see what the smoke is like!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    I always use apple when cooking salmon and we really like it John.
    Larry

• WooDoggies,[p]Alder is the traditional wood used for smoking salmon in the Pacific Northwest. I don't know if you have access to any, but it's really the best.
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Alaskanc, a touch of Alder on bread, including pizzas is great too.

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    I've got some Pear. I have not tried it on fish yet, but I do like it on ribs and poultry. I can send you a bit if you want.
    LOG

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Log! After scrounging a little more through the pile, I found some pear that I cut last year.... I've never used it before with fish, either. Thanks for the offer, maybe we can do a swap in Waldorf?[p]John
  • LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    No problem. I would like to go this year. Maybe the Stump and myself will do a road trip.
    LOG

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Its a tossup between cherry and apple.... leaning towards cherry simply because I have more experience with it.... cheers![p]Johh
  • WooDoggies,[p]I've got plum and peach... You just have to come to Chi-Town... A ton of apple too... But you've got that... What about mulberry?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fe687265.jpg
    <p />WooDoggies,[p]As Borders mentioned, I use cherry to finish mainly for the nice red color. I start off with equal parts of alder and apple. Goshdawg, I love salmon. [p]The top pic is with peppercorns, bottom is with cracked pepper.[p]40e4fc4a.jpg[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Dos Huevos
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Dude, how big are those hunks in the bottom picture? They've got me craving some salmon BAD!!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Dos Huevos,[p]The big one was just under 5# [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I love that top picture and saved it from when you posted it last year.... that fish looks darn near perfect.[p]I've got the cooker heating up and decided to go with a very light cherry smoke. There's no room to experiment on this since all of the salmon is destined for a party this weekend.
    I'll have to try apple on another cook.... thanks again for all the help.[p]John

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Scottie,[p]Not planning on a trip to Chicago anytime soon but when you drive your girls in your new RV toward Maryland-way this summer, then we can talk bidness.
    I've never tried mulberry but would love to give it a go. Bring it on... cheers![p]John

• WooDoggies
    Options
    katman,[p]All I know, it was a beautiful plum tree in my yard that bore fruit every year when I lived in Asheville, NC. The tree had to come down in the name of progress.... and I used the last of it.... bummer.[p]John

• WooDoggies,[p]If I visit my cousin in MD this summer, I will let you know. Maryland can't be that big... ;-)