Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking/Smoking a Whole Chicken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Brand New User Here:[p] Just bought my new BGE and have cooked hamburgers, steak and am planning on cooking two whole chickens today.
Can't find anything in my BGE Cookbook that tells me how long or at what temp.
Can anyone give me some input?

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Dan L. Shelton, It's best to brine, but at this point you don't have time probably. Go to this site for a chicken recipe that will knock your socks off. BTW take time to look through all the recipes in this BGE site and you will also be better off pitching that book which came with your egg. Good luck.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Dan L. Shelton,[p]Try a dome temp of 300-325, and figure roughly 15 minutes per pound.[p]Cathy
  • Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    Options
    Dan L. Shelton,
    Dan L. Shelton,[p]Try going through the "submited recipes" found above the forum discussions. Or try visiting GFW's or Tim M's web sites. I egged my first chicken last week and was it ever wonderful, so much so that I smoked one the next day to freeze. [p]My Rosemary Chicken: I let it sit overnight with a rub of Olive Oil, fresh ground pepper, kosher salt and fresh rosemary. Be sure to rub the cavity too. While the bird marinated I soaked a bunch of rosemary branches in water overnight. When the time came to grill the bird I loaded the egg with lump and mixed in rosemary cut that morning. Once the lump came to temp I threw on the wet rosemary and put the water it was soaking in, into the drip pan. On went the chicken over a beer can full of white wine. I cooked low and slow 225-250 for about 3-3 1/2 hours. When the breast temp came to 150 I pulled it.
    [p]

[ul][li]GFW's Web site[/ul]