Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just too easy. What's gonna go wrong?

Options
BBQ-BoB
BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well some won't believe it but I finally fired my Egg up! Should have stuck with my original plan which was expecting to cook today instead of trying for earlier in the week.[p]I opened the bottom vent all the way, put maybe a half of a fire rings worth of charcoal in trying to get some bigger pieces towards the bottom. I used my weed burner to light the center area of the charcoal and after several minutes when it was going well I stuck a small piece of apple on top. Put the cooking grate back in and set a inverted half foil pan on it with my WSM grate over that.[p]After maybe 10 minutes i put a rack of ribs on the grate (cut them in half) with them setting over the foil pan.[p]This egg is just humming along.[p]This is or was just too easy. What's gonna go wrong? This is certainly easier than my kettle and I'll deny it in person but it's almost as easy as flicking on the switch on my FE100![p]Is it really this easy?[p]On one half of the rack I used Dizzy Pigs Jamacian Hell Fire rub and the other I used my friend bbqwizard's pork rub.[p]The thermo is showing about 260 based on what my eyes can see and I'll go check things again in a bit.[p]Thanks guys![p]Bob

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]I know your not a rookie, so it may go about that well. no learning curve, lucky guy.[p]If you leave the daisey closed, with the holes lined up and the bottom vent open just a smidge it should idle @ 250. If you notice the temp to go up or down make just the smallest adjustment to the bottom vent as possible. That's about it.[p]Good luck[p]Scott

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    eggor,
    I'll tell ya what will go wrong.... You'll get a burn ban put out over your state by the Governor and a 1 year in the county and 1000.00 fine for violators! No eggin till the rain comes! I'm freaking out! I just bought meat![p]No outdoor charcoal cooking.... what's an Egghead to do?

• BBQ-BoB
    Options
    eggor, Thanks![p]I didn't mention it but I do have the wheel fully closed and the holes in what I will call the adjustable part of the wheel are open or lined up open all the way.[p]Just opened the garage and checked the lid temp and it's right where I left it.[p]Man this thing is great! kind of making me wanna ask the guy I got it from if he wants to sell his XL now![p]I feel like I have been living under a rock or in a cave.[p]Let me see how I feel after some long cooks doing butts and briskets though. I'm just happy this is going so well today![p]Thanks again![p]Bob
  • JeffHughes
    Options
    SuperDave,[p]My understanding is that enclosed smokers are okay. I think that would cover an Egg, WSM, or even my Klose...[p]I have a friend who is a judge and KCBS Contest Rep, I'm hoping he can take care of me if I run into trouble...[p]Regards--Jeff
  • JeffHughes
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]Because you understand fire control you will have zero learning curve...[p]Starting the lump with a weed burner, now that is probably a first around here and even easier than MAPP gas...[p]Like I said, welcome to the cult...[p]Jeff

• BBQ-BoB
    Options
    Jeff Hughes,
    Thanks Jeff. Had a friend that also has a egg and he just reminded me of the times he was pumped when using hs egg the first few times. He too was just amazed at how easy it was to use right away.[p]He too understands fire control and it went well for him right away ut then he has been lucky enough to have cooked with a guy that has been using one too.[p]He told me to just wait until I grill some steaks on it. Won't be long until I stop and buy some 1 1/2 thick rib eyes![p]Just put some sausage on and the cat and dog are starting to look a bit worried because other meats are still frozen right now.[p]Using the weed burner took maybe 30-45 seconds to get the Royal Oak lit up. I use it for heating up the steel on my Austin National and to light the wood and charcoal in it so it just had to work with the egg. My only concern was all that heat hitting the cold ceramic. It's around 30 degrees outside and I didn't want to shock the fire ring with such high heat but I never heard a pop nor noticed anything so maybe I'm lucky?[p]Hey I can finally say it......[p]I'M AND EGGER!!!! YEAH BABY!! 'bout time![p]Bob

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]Many of us use weedburners to light up, mainly for the safety of the long handle. (and also to freak out the neighbors with the Statue of Liberty impersonation with the burner wide open) When it is below 20° I prewarm the ring before lighting the lump. I also prewarm the plate setter.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BBQ-BoB
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I gotta ask, how do you prewarm things? By just setting the torch on the ring itself and closing the lid to let it warm up or is there a better way.[p]Thanks for the tip on prewarming

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    I have been cooking for 40+ years. I have been married for almost 20. I have had Weber Genesis grills for a long time. Everytime I would try ribs I would get the following comments from the better half, "These ribs are terrible, Do we have a coupon for the the pizza place?" and other great comments. When I got the egg I steeled myself after a while to try ribs. My wife was very skeptical. I did the 3/1/1 method. I never cooked anything on any grill for 5 hours. She thought it was the best ribs she ever had and of course I concurred. They were great and subsequently I have done them many more times, with what I feel was great uncounscious success.

billyg