Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with cooking 24 Filets

Butch M
Butch M Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are having 24 folks over and will be cooking 6 oz bacon wrapped Filets. Can you provide me with the best technique to do this? We would like to prepare them rare and medium.[p]Would a version of T-Rex method work? We have a mini and large but thinking about only using the large.[p]Thank you so much to everyone who participates on this forum. My wife and I sincerely appreciate all of the useful information that is provided. I read the forum most days, but rarely contribute, yet the education we have gained has provided many memorable meals on our Egg. Thank you so much and Happy New Year to everyone.

Comments

• Butch M,[p]I cooked tenderloin for 15 at Christmas. I had my butcher provide me with 3 - 10" center sections of beef tenderloin (trimmed of silver) that I then grilled. Two were cooked to medium rare (125) and the 3rd was cooked to medium. I then cut them to 1-2" thick individual servings.[p]I coated with a combination of cracked black pepper, kosher salt and Lowry's. It formed a very tasty exterior.[p]A lot easier than cooking 15 (or 24) individual steaks.
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Butch M,
    I haven't done bacon wrapped filets, but I would think the bacon would bet pretty charred if you did a direct super hot sear. An option might be to use a hot cast iron skillet for the sear and transfer to a moderate temp egg after the rest.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Butch M, I agree that doing the whole loin, then slicing, anyone wanting it a little more cooked than its just an eay grilling seperatly

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Butch M,
    I've done bacon wraped filet many times. I don't use the Trex method. I'm lazy. I grill at about 600 dome temp and turn the filets several times during the cook. The bacon comes out nice and crisp. If you want some filets more rare just put them later then the others. They can all come off at the same time for their resting period. LOL, Tom[p][p][p][p][p][p]

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Butch M,[p]I do bacon-wrapped filets at a bit lower heat. Between 450 and 500. Having to flip that many steaks, it would be my tendency to go closer to 450. The timing is going to depend on the thickness. If the thicknesses vary and it works out right, you might end up cooking them all for about the same amount of time or pulling the thicker (more rare) ones off just a minute ahead of those done to medium. [p]Try to envision how you are going to feel sitting down to eat with your guests. Sticking to a simple approach (IMHO, of course) is pretty important with that size of a group. Can you imagine getting your grill up to 700 and working 24 steaks on and off it, then sitting down to dinner (after a bunch more egg time) half an hour later? I'd be fried![p]Good luck.[p]Joyce
    who can be a wimp about high temps[p]

• Butch M,[p]When cooking for that many people preheating plates is critical to keep the food hot. As to how you cook, I don't believe you have enough real estate to cook them all at once as steaks. Cooking the whole tenderloin at once is a great option Paula on food network has a great recipe for a drunken tenderloin. It is a favorite at my house. If you must do steaks I would cook them all partially done at a low temp. like 350-400. Rest them in the oven, crank up the egg to the highest temp you can achieve, toss them on the grill for 1-3 min on each side. rest again place on preheated plate, and top with brennaise or other sauce to counter dryness.
  • Butch M, You may need 2 cooking levels to handle 24 filets at once.
    I would use a temp in the 350 to 400 range, definately no T-Rex
    with the bacon wrap. I would oil em a bit and rub in your favorite
    not too wild rub, or fresh black pepper salt and Lawrys. With 24
    to tend to , you may want to have a helper too! Save one for me!