Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not getting the same cooking temperature

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new egg user and am very pleased with the purchase! One thing is a bit troubling though. The first few times I tried for maximum temperature, to sear a steak, the dome thermometer would get to 700+ degrees. Now I get "only" 600 degrees or so. [p]Still sears well but not quite as good. I have regulary cleaned the out the ashes so am sure that's not a problem. I am however into a new bag of charcoal, still lump but a different brand than I used before. Has anyone else seen a variation between charcoal brands? Any ideas what else might cause this? Thanks. Steve

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Steve Tozier,
    Check your thermometer in boiling water to make sure it is reading correctly.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Steve Tozier, and check to see that you are starting your fire at the bottom of your charcoal. Also make sure you have plenty of charcoal in the box.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Steve Tozier,[p]Most likely it's not the brand of lump unless its really damp but even so it would dry itself out really quick at 600 deg. Always stir the old unburnt lump and add fresh lump. Never think the old lump will be enough to sear - it won't so always add some fresh lump when you need those 600+ deg temps. The other problem might be the grate being clogged - common with the ceramic grate and at 600+ temps it needs really good air flow.[p]BTW, I wouldn't worry about ash removal. I personally think it's good to leave a layer of ash on the bottom to act as an insulator so the bottom doesn't get as hot. I go 6-9 cooks before cleaning it out and then i leave a little in. [p]Tim
  • Randy
    Randy Posts: 28
    Options
    Steve Tozier,Ive noticed that sometimes less lump is better...I guess it give better airflow. For ultimate searing I usually go 1/2 to 3/4 full. Also the size of the chunks of lump seems to make a difference. The larger ones burn hotter quicker...