Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Too much Fat Cap?????

billy bobbilly bob Posts: 16
edited 8:55PM in EggHead Forum

Bought a huge 12 lb. brisket today. The question is, how much is too much of a fat cap. It has to be at least 1 inch thick in spots. Should I trim it some, or leave as is.[p]Billy-Bob

·

Comments

• JJJJ Posts: 951
    Billy-Bob,
    Leave the fat cap as it is. Remove the hard fat on the side.

·
  • CatCat Posts: 556
    Billy-Bob,[p]Try scoring the fat deeply before you marinate or rub. You'll get more flavor into the meat.[p]Cathy

·
  • JJ and Cat,[p]Damn, you guys are fast. Thanks for the help. I paid .98 cents a pound, and I really don't want to screw it up.:)[p]Billy-Bob

·
    Billy-Bob,
    Low and slo and you can't screw it up.

·
  • JJ,[p]I have read different threads and web sites on how long you should cook a brisket. I know 220 to 250 cooking temp,and between 180 to 200 internal temp, but i have seen any where from 1 to 2 hours per pound. That puts my brisket from 10 to 24 hours. What gives?[p]Bill

·
    Billy-Bob,
    12 lb brisket at 250* about 18 hrs. With drip pan.

·
  • JJ,
    Thanks for the tip, I'll let you know tomorrow night how it came out.[p]Bill

·