Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trivet vs. standard grate

Options
Billy
Billy Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know that the pros on this forum pretty much all use a trivet in their Egss so I expect disagreement on this point, but I think that is the reason for the cracked fireboxes. I have been using the standard grate and have no trouble getting up to 1000*, and have never had a fire go out on an all-nighter. Has ANYONE had a cracked firebox with the standard grate? If so, never mind. If not, then I would suspect that the trivets are the problem and not the fireboxes. I talked to BGE and they said to never use a metal grate as it will not expand and contract with the firebox and will crack it. Billy

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Billy,
    ME! Who did you talk to at BGE? Also I never have used a trivet.

• JJ
    Options
    Billy,
    Trivets sit on top of the ash chamber and not in it. When the trivet expands it rides ontop of the ash chamber of the fire box and CAN NOT expand against the wall of the ash chamber thereby causing damage to the firebox.

• Billy
    Options
    JJ,
    What about with all the weight of a full firebox full of lump holding it down? Isnt there the possibility of it sticking against the sides when expanding? If all of the cracked fireboxes are all on Eggs with trivets, it would seem more than coincidence. Billy

• JJ
    Options
    Billy,
    That dog won't hunt!!!!! I have had 5 cracked boxes and like I said in my other postm I have NEVER used a trivet.

• Billy
    Options
    JJ,
    I never asked the persons name when I called. I figured if everyone else was using a trivet, I should too. The only thing is- I have no problems whatsoever with the standard grate, so I see no reason to switch. Billy

• JJ
    Options
    Billy,
    If it's not broke for you. by all means, do not fix it. Since you are happy with your setup then stick with it. Just because some opt to use a trivit or other means for ash control does not mean it is gospel.

• Billy
    Options
    JJ,
    Oh well... It seemed to make sense. Billy

• JJ
    Options
    Billy,
    If what your are doing is making you happy, by all means, stick with it. Different strokes for different folks.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S12_23_9909_41_01.jpg
    <p />Billy, my firebox cracked around the same time that my 2nd ceramic fire grate cracked - before I started using the floor drain, not after.[p]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Billy,
    I've replace my standard grate twice now in a little over 18 months (Last Saturday was the 2nd time!)on my Lg BGE and my firebox cracked before the grate cracked & broke both times. The firebox is cracked but has not let go yet! Its a problem, but I feel BGE people are working on it in earnest. Problems like this take time to solve properly! IMHO though! Others may disagree, but all of us still continue to use the Eggs.[p]Great ain't it???[p]Dr. Chicken

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Billy,
    No cracks, no metal grate, no problems in my large Egg's 2 plus years of use. Temp and ash control are not a problem either.
    JimW

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    grate1.jpg
    <p />Billy,[p]I like the trivet but I must admit that it does not allow anything that the ceramic grate can't do too. The biggest advantage, in my personal opinion, is with the trivet or floor drain like GFW's is that it allows more air so you get a hotter fire faster. This is mainly true because I lite my fire with a Webber fire cube directly under the trivett. For lo and slo fires I start from on top of the lump sice I want/need only a small fire. I use to lite grilling fires from under the ceramic grate too but they don't get to 300 deg as fast as with the trivet. You need to be very careful that you don't go way too high too fast though!! [p]My box is cracked and its been so for over a year and a half and I don't really care since it causes me no trouble at all. Here is my trivet in the bottom of my large Egg.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]-Tim's world of BGE -[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Billy,[p]No trivets here and the large has a firebox that looks like a roadmap (great character) and both the large and small fire grates are in two pieces (easier to remove for cleaning). All still cooks well.[p]Spin

• Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 44
    Options
    Billy,[p]I switched from the standard grate to the trivet after my grate broke on July 3rd. JJ talked he down from the panic tree and I wired it bak together with coat hangers at about midnight. I bought the trivet from Lodge shortly afterwards.[p]Cooking with the trivet definitely helps the egg reach temperature more quickly. The bigger holes alse help the little dime-sized lump "nuggets" fall through. I have notice that these nuggets like to "jump for freedom" sometimes right out of the bottom vent when I am searing. Watch your feet! When stirring the old lump before lighting the fire, watch that you don't stir too hard or you can trip the trivet and spill your lump into the botom of the firebox.[p]I would have been happier if the standard grate hadn't broken, but I'll stick with the trivet for it's durability.[p]Bye,[p]Jimbo[p]Also, watch your bottom opening when going low & slow. I found that you need a slightly smaller opening than with the standard grate to maintain 225*[p]