Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Lump vs. Charcoal

edited 1:14AM in EggHead Forum
I just bought my first Big Green Egg. I asked the dealer if he sold lump & he gave me a bag of Royal Oak charcoal & said that it was the same thing. He didn't charge me for it, but is there a big difference between lump & this stuff?


  • bdavidsonbdavidson Posts: 411
    Same stuff. In fact, BGE lump is made by Royal Oak.

  • CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
    jhgnag,[p]First of all let me say that you are attacking this with the right attitude when you say, "I just bought my first Big Green Egg." Like many others on this forum, your Egg may soon need additional Eggs as companions.[p]As for the lump vs. charcoal part, this may just be an issue of confusing terminology. What many call lump is really short for "lump charcoal" and what many call charcoal is short for "charcoal briquetes." Lump charcoal is all natural wood charcoal and usually appears in the form of randomly shaped and sized pieces. Charcoal briquets are processed with additives and compressed into uniformly sized briquets.[p]If the Royal Oak to which you refer says something like "natural wood charcoal" and appears as various shapes and sizes, it's actually lump. Further, from what I understand, Royal Oak actually makes and packages BGE Lump Charcoal and BGE simply brands it as "BGE brand." So, you may actually have the same stuff. I often use those red/orange bags of Royal Oak lump since it is available at a supermarket which is local to me and since my nearest BGE dealer is a half hour or so away.[p]Hope this helps,

  • CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
    bdavidson,[p]Beat me to it and you compressed my verbose answer by about 10000%.[p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed,[p]Thanks guys! Very helpful. I'm sure I'll be asking you more later. I bought the Beast Sunday, but the guy forgot the hinge. He reopens tomorrow, so it's safe to say that we'll be grillin' tomorrow.'[p]jhgnag

  • JJJJ Posts: 951
    Ask anything you want and we are here to help.

  • bdavidsonbdavidson Posts: 411
    I just read your answer...a very nice explanation!

  • MACMAC Posts: 442
    But don't be confused by the fact that Royal Oak also makes hard wood briquets. Almost bought a few bags at Gordons at a great price till I actually saw what they were.

  • MAC,[p]How do you know the difference?

  • MACMAC Posts: 442
    Says it right on the bag. Hard wood charcoal Briquets

  • MAC,[p]I think that it says Natural Hardwood Charcoal. It's in a red bag.

Sign In or Register to comment.