Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork for tacos

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can I cook a pulled pork on the egg with mexican style seasoning for taco or burrito filling?[p]Thanks,[p]Ed

Comments

• Fish
    Fish Posts: 1
    Options
    No the police will come
  • Fish,[p]That's what I was afraid of... [p]If the egg police show up at my house, will they cook dinner? Maybe that's a good thing![p]Ed[p]
  • Ed in TX,
    You would be cuffed and on the way to jail , the cops will drag you out of the car and make you sit on the curb of a donut shop in a really bad part of town with a Celine Dion cd going full blast.They would take bets with the Donut shop owner how long you would last.
    360 guy-gary

• Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    Options
    Ed in TX,[p]I'm in the last hours of a Butt cook right now that will be pulled later tonight and then saved for Christmas Eve. We have made a Christmas Eve tradition of pulled pork soft tacos, tamales and bean soup (flavored with pulled pork of course) for the last few years and rely on home made salsa for the seasoning of the pork tacos. [p]Go for it with a mexican inspired rub, but personally I'd think twice about using store bought taco seasoning. The French's.McCormicks and Taco Bells just worry me. Who knows maybe you are on to something! [p]The pulled pork on the egg will hold it's own though. Use fresh tortillas from a local bakery, find a local mexican vendor for tamales and get yourself a good recipe for fresh salsa and beans. If you can't let me know and I'll pass ours along. Do your pork proud and make this extra effort, your family and guests will rave.[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Ed in TX,[p]You bet! Seasoning after pulling works for tacos, tamales, burritos, quesadillas & enchiladas too. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stuart,[p]We LOVE mexican food. I make a few kinds of salsa, but nothing with the egg. If I were to make a cooked/blended salsa (as opposed to a pico de gallo) I would HAVE to roast the peppers, toms, garlic on the egg. I haven't really gone this direction with the egg, but the lightbulb is coming on. (be patient, it's never very bright)[p]What do I do (if anything) different with the pork? I am new to this world of BBQ, so the only thing I know to do with a pork butt-shoulder is to rub with mustard, dizzy pig, turbinado sugar and smoke away. I suppose I could just add a couple of tablespoons of chilipowder to the DP, skip the mustard and go light on the smoke.[p]Hmmmmm, what do you think?[p]Thanks,[p]Ed
  • Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    Options
    Ed in TX,[p]Being long time residents of Texas we love Mexican food also. What we have learned about true mexican is that the food is simple and the meats are not heavily seasoned. Tex-Mex is the variety that most Americans know as Mexican. [p]The addition of chili powder is an interesting idea. Don't skip the mustard, you won't taste it anyway, its the vinegar in the mustard that is useful. Try it and let us know how it works. As for the smoke, I say the more the better. Remember only the outter 1/4 to 1/2 inch of meat actually absorbs a significant amount of the smoke. With a Butt there is going to be a large percentage of meat that only have a hint if any smoke so you aren't going to risk smoke overpowering the meat or the seasoning.[p]My preference is to use my favorite rub over mustard and go with a good amount of smoke. To acheive the Mexican taste I garnish the pork with the appropriate veggies and salsa.[p]Of course in the end it is all personal preference and I'm sure what ever you try will work out great. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.