Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dr. Chicken Ham Q's

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How far in advance should one inject the ham with the sweet kiss of death marinade? I have the ham in the fridge now and could inject anytime. Does injecting earlier allow the flavoring to more evenly penetrate?[p]My ham is 13# (it is a whole ham, not a half ham shank). Does the 25-30 minutes per pound still apply, or will it cook a bit faster?[p]Thanks in advance, Banker John

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Banker John,[p]i'm not an eggspert on this, but i'm not a fan on injecting, the injection with Dr C's works well, most others that i've tried don't. you can do the injection just before the cook and it'll do fine. you can skip the injection, but IHHO, it's the glaze!!![p]Scott

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Banker John,[p]I've done this recipe many times and in fact have a 12 pound bone in ham in the frig for Christmas myself. I have found that it works for me to inject it 24 hrs in advance although 12 to 14 hours is fine also. One word of caution so that Mrs Banker John doesn't go ballistic - just be careful with the injecting...the more holes in the ham the more the marinade will shoot out the other holes and spray her cabinets!!![p]

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Banker John
    Options
    RRP,
    More wisdom from an expert! I'll make the marinade tomorrow after fishing and inject 24 hrs+ in advance. Note to self... inject slowly with Ham in original packaging.[p]Good to hear from you Ron. I appreciate your insight. Check your inbox.[p]Banker John