Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham on the egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello eggers,
I am thinking about Christmas dinner, and thought about doing a ham. Anybody done one one the egg? A good sized one, maybe 350 for a few hours. Any tips or pointers?[p]Dana

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Dana,
    easiest thing is to heat it up just like you would in the oven. maybe toss in a little extra smoke.
    same time and temps.[p]careful with the spiral cuts, they will dry out.
    if you foil them before cooking, there's no sense doing them in the egg, because you'll get no benny from the smoke.[p]if you do them without the foil, they tend to dry...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • locolongball
    Options
    Dana,

What strike said!

I do mine at 325, about 2hrs for a large. Don't forget the wood chunks or chips for smoke.

Merry Christmas.
  • AL
    AL Posts: 81
    Options
    Stike, what about having it in foil most of the cook, and then when it is almost done taking the foil off so it gets some smoke?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    al,
    yeah
    ooops shoulda said that i guess![p]a little smoke will go a long way

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dana,
    I did a Smithfield ham (butt)from Kroger for Thanksgiving and it was the BEST ham I ever tasted. I cooked on the BGE and used the time and temp that was recommended on the label. I covered the cut end with foil and secured with toothpicks to keep that exposed meat from getting too dry. I used the plate setter, drip pan with water and v-rack. I put the ham fat side up according to the package. During the last 30 minutes I put a glaze of brown sugar, mustard and pineapple juice on the ham. It was wonderful. It had a good smoked flavor, but was not overly smokey.

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Dana,
    Do Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham. You won't be sorry....