Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ash

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If the firebox was loaded pretty full and the next time I cook there is still some lump, but I add some more and clean out the ash thru the bottom vent is that good enough? I am wondering if the grate gets clogged with ash? If so, is there a way to clean that out without digging in all that lump?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    DannyT,
    before you add lump, every cokk, give the old lump a darn good stir.[p]the holes are big enough the ash'll fall thru.[p]it's not been discussed, but after i add the new lump, i usually mix in the new and old with a few follow-up stirs too.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    DannyT,
    I've been using old wok ladle. Each time before new cook I stir down to the grate. Ash drops off and into bottom. I am sure grate holes are clear then add new lump into half of bowl where old lump moved away. Don't have lumpy black hands with this method and no wondering if grate is clogged.
    Should be able to go at least 6 months before take down and clean out of inards. Good Luck

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    stike,[p]shoot me an email

• tn slagamater
    Options
    DannyT, you should have very little ash. As mentioned, just stir the old ash and add some new lump.Make sure that the grate ( the thingy with holes that sits in the bottom of the firebox) is upright so that ash falls through the holes and does not get caught up on grid holes....The grid has a top/upside and a bottom/downside... Large part of the holes goes down...small part is up, on top....

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    DannyT,
    Just stir the old lump around a bit to get rid of the small pieces and clear the bottom out with your ash tool. That should be fine.