Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon...low and slow?

Options
GSaye
GSaye Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a side of alaskan salmon here. I really would like to dry cure it to make some gravlax, but I don't have the time (party tomorrow night). So....if I smoke it on the egg, what is the absolute lowest temperature I should use to get it safely cooked but as "rare" as possible. [p]Also, I have some applewood chips. Does apple work well with salmon? I've done alder, but not apple.[p]Finally, if you live in the general area of Madison, Georgia, our local Egg dealer at Thrifty Mac Drugs downtown has 10% off of every BGE accessory until the end of the year!!! Woohoo!! (I am not affiliated with this store in any way).

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    GSaye,[p]I am not an expert on this but I do believe that salmon is one type of fish used for sushi - which is completely raw.[p]I like to do salmon low & slow. I usually get a small fire started and throw some chips in. My favorite with salmon is Jack Daniels. I've used cherry (and liked it)but never apple.[p]Put the salmon on while the temp is still only about 145 and it works up to 225. Usually take it off after about 45 minutes.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    GSaye,
    You can do your salmon very easily with no cooking.
    Thinly slice the raw salmon, as you do for smoked salmon. Lay the slices out on the serving platter, or whatever plates you will use. Sprinkle liberally with lime or lemon juice, as you prefer, and a good sprinkling of freshly ground pepper corns. You can sprinkle some dill or fennel fronds on if you like the aniceed flavour of these herbs. If you do not have these herbs mix some Pernod with your citrus juice, before sprinkling on the fish.
    The fish will be ready to eat in 30 minutes, it will change colour as if it has been cooked, and the texture changes also as the acid in the fruit juice reacts with the fish. Flavour, fabulous.
    Roger

• GSaye
    Options
    Jethro,
    Thanks! Yeah...I'm actually a big sushi fan, and I'm saving about 1/4 of the salmon for sashimi. Unfortunately, the party guests are not likely to be too hip to the idea of sushi.

• GSaye
    Options
    irishrog,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I may just do that! Hate not being able to fire up the Egg, though. Maybe I'll cook a little pork tenderloin as well.[p]By the way, I went to grad school at UC Dublin. I sure miss those little smoked salmon sandwichs and pints of Guinness I'd grab for lunch!

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fe687265.jpg
    <p />GSaye,[p]This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it's an overnight cure and a 2 or 3 hour smoke. I do these around the holidays with red and green peppercorns (not capers).[p]For the cure and some pictures of larger fillets, click on the link to go to my salmon page.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

[ul][li]Salmon[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery