Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig and The Corn Starch...

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pc140118.jpg
<p />I made some split breasts for dinner tonight. 2 with Citrus Grill, my daughter requested Tsunami Spin (after tasting them all), and I had Jamaican Firewalk. My daughter and I poked 4,963 holes with bamboo skewers. I spiced them then dusted with the cornstarch. 375 raised grid direct for about an hour. The small "dark" one on the bottom is the way my daughter likes hers. The skin was almost like tempura batter, really light and crisp. You HAVE to try this![p]2 things:[p]1. When finished my wife asked for more chicken skin.
2. This is the first time I tried the Firewalk, Oh My God! That stuff is spectacular Chris.[p]E

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Hey that looks good! Even after poken all the holes. That guy with the orange hair looks happy too. he he
    Clay[p]You guys getting any snow? It's been going on all day here. Haven't seen snow like this before Christmas in a long time.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]It is just starting to snow now. The really tiny flakes when its 15 degrees...NICE. We got snow last week and there is still 6-7 inches on the ground. The weather guys are comparing this to 1976. That was a big snow year. [p]Interestingly, I talked to one of you neighbors in your town yesterday. He is a part time bbq guy that makes this spice called Jungle Rub. You ever tried it? Anyway, he makes it sporatically and I am just about out, so I was hounding hime to make more.[p]E

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Hummm, never heard of Jungle Rub. Sounds like a dance from the 70's. he he
    Nice and quiet here, everyones gone for the evening, I'm sipping a beer thinking about snowthrowing the drive. Sometimes I'd rather use a shovel, take my time and enjoy the quiet, stop and admire the spruces covered in heaps of snow.
    Well, it's time, out I go.......if I don't come back call out the dogs.
    Clay [p]

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]I snow blow then shovel. That way the sun will warm up the asphault and dry it off. One of the better advantages of black pavement in a cold climate.[p]E

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    just so I get this right.... you simply dust with the rub of choice, and then dust again with cornstartch? Is that it? Looks and sounds good.
    Seth

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Cool! This is definitely worth a look-see. About how much corn starch did you "dust" on? Maybe a tbsp for all 4 pieces? Or more?[p]Thanks, and glad you enjoyed the Firewalk!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    I totally agree about the Firewalk. I use it on my eggs at breakfast, and I sprinkled some on the pulled pork I cooked two days ago. Everybody likes the flavor it gives to just about everything. The only think it might not work well on is French Toast but I'm willing to even give that a try.[p]Spring "Walking The Fire" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Crab leg,[p]Thats the process. I also dried them off with a paper towel first.[p]E

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Cool. Thanks.
    Seth

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Actually I thought I put too much on. I poured the corn starch in a small screen sifter thingy. When I poured it in the sifter most fell through right onto one breast. That was probably about a table spoon on that one. I kinda brushed it off, but it still looked like too much. I put like 2 tablespoons in the sifter for the other three. Real light dusting. Press it in like a rub. The one with too much cornstartch was just as good as the other three. Maybe had a little thicker "Crust".[p]E
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]I want to put some on my bagel and cream cheese. I don't have any here at work. dang it![p]E
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Crab leg,[p]Also Make sure you poke lots-o-holes in the skin so the fat can render out.[p]E

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    we did pizza on the egg, later than usual so the kids had some quick chicken my wife had started in the oven before i got home.[p]when the chicken came out, she said, "have the skin if you want, the kids won't eat it " (?!?!)[p]anyway, as i was eating the skin from about 8 or 10 legs i got the idea....[p]CHICKEN SKIN PIZZA!!![p]didn't do it, but man o man.
    for skin and fat-lovers like me, that'd be mack-daddy

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Essex County
    Options
    stike,
    So...would you find some sort of edible thread and sew them together? or maybe a little cornstarch paste on the edges? I think I saw something like this in a 70's horror movie.[p]but with a topping of gizzards and hearts you may have something.[p]Paul

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Very, very interesting. I read about this in Cook's Illustrated and have been meaning to give it try. Thanks for the picture and incentive.[p]Cuppa Joes,
    John[p]

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Essex County,[p]Chicken skin lamp shade maybe? I know pioneers used dried deer skins as windows in their cabins.[p]E
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Essex County,
    put the poodle back in the bucket!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante