Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Success Again

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love it when things come together. I bought a 6# pork butt at Kroger on Sunday for $ .99 per pound. Should have bought two but I'm a Chicken, not a Pig. Anyway, my last one took about 22 hours and I wanted to try doing it in much less time. I doused it good with some assorted DP and wrapped it good for a couple of days in the frig. I put it on the Egg with some hickory chunks at 8:00 AM this morning, indirect @ 375°. Yep, I wanted to speed it up. The temperature gradually leveled off at 350° and stayed that way for two hours. I then wrapped it in foil for about an hour as the temperature dropped on back to 275° where it stayed until 8:00 PM. Took it off, let it rest a few minutes and started pulling. Great! Took some to happy neighbors and still have some left for me a few sandwiches. Life is good. [p]I think I will do more 12-hour cooks and less 22-hour cooks. Sure makes life simpler.[p]Spring "Totally Full" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Spring Chicken,What do you think the difference is between the result of a 20 hour cook vs a 12 hour?

• T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm curious about your 22-hour cooks? Is that more a result of the temp you are cooking at or the piece of meat? I normally do the boneless Costco butts. They are about 7 pounds. I cook them at about 225 and only my last one went a full 2 hours a pound for a 14 hours cook. More often they are done in about 1.5 hours a pound? No foil or higher temps. That is getting it to a temp of 195.
    I am just curious because I see posts with these real long cook times? You said it was “great”, so I assume the 22 hour cook did not produce a significant difference? Am I just lucky that I have not run into a piece of meat that will want that kind of cooking time?
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Borders ,
    To tell the truth, very little difference in flavor and texture. The moisture or the meat seemed higher, yet there was very little fat to deal with during the pulling. [p]Time was the only difference that I could see.[p]Spring "Plumb Tuckered" Chicken

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Sounds like a real time saver. The wrapping in foil while still cooking did'nt effect the bark?
    I may have to try that.

• jake42,
    By the way, what was the purpose in wrapping it in the foil??

• locolongball
    Options
    Borders ,[p]I was up in Jacksonville area visiting my co-workers home, and his neighbor cooks at competitions. I went over to look at his rig, which was darn nice btw. He had a pork butt on and said that he always wraps in foil and does 9-12 cooks. [p]I told him a cook mine 22-24hours at lower temps. We both agree that cooking the @225 is good because it keeps it juicy and moist, and still will allow the fat to render. Cooking at the higher temp will cause the fat to move out of the meat faster, and if not wrapped in foil, it might get pretty dry. He also likes doing the 9-12 cooks, because that's about the time it takes to do the brisket, so he can pull them at the same time. [p]Sounds like an experiment is in order this weekend! ;-)

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    jake42,
    No, there was plenty of very tasty bark and very little waste from excessively hard pieces. So far everyone I gave it to likes it. At least one said "Best yet."[p]Spring "Thinking About Making Some PP-ABT's" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,
    Keeps the juices in and aids in cooking the interior or the meat I suspect. See locolongball's post below.[p]Spring "Learning All The Time" Chicken