Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori cooking question

Options
crkscrw
crkscrw Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone use the egg to do tandoori chicken in the traditional way, that is on vertical skewers, basted with butter? Don't know that it would make much difference in taste, but might be fun to try. One Indian cookbook suggested a 500 degree oven--would this translate directly to the egg? thanks

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    crkscrw,
    I've done it a few times with a heavy yogurt coating on it...left the marinade on it instead of rinsing it off. Haven't done it vertically, but there is no reason you couldn't.[p]I would go at least 500° maybe even up to 600°.[p]HTH

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    crkscrw,
    ive done it with boneless breasts with a yogurt marinade like BobbyQ mentioned. i made a vertical skewer that rested on a plate so that i could put it on the grill standing. i layeyered lemon slices and stacked the breasts about 10 high. the idea was to carry the whole stack to the table and let people carve down thru the breasts and take what they want. over all it was good, the outside edges were a bit dry, next time i will probably halve the breasts and stack them 20 high. i think i used a slightly lower temp of about 400

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    forgot to mention this, i placed the skewer on the front of the egg and tilted it towards the back at an angle. lit the fire in the back of the egg so that it was way hotter there. rotated this a few times during the cook.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    crkscrw,
    I have tried it using boneless chicken thigh pieces, marinated in yogurt and tandoori spices. I used a grill-topper wok (the kind with holes) set upside-down directly on the coals--sort of like a pincushion, and I put the tips of the skewers in the holes once the temp got up around 550-600. I had to work fast. Two big problems. One was that the chicken pieces slid down the skewers when I was trying to set them vertically, so I ended up needing to gerry-rig "stoppers" made hastily from foil balls. The other was that the grill-topper burned badly (lost its coating) from being set on the coals. I intended to continue perfecting this technique because it seemed like I was on the right track, but you know...life got in the way. The chicken tasted very good, but it was just a colossal PITA to prep. Now that you remind me with your post, I'll start think about improving the setup. Let me know if you come up with a good method. [p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• crkscrw
    Options
    crkscrw,[p]Thanks everyone! More snow coming--sounds like the perfect time for an experiment.