Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Diet & the BGE

Options
Love Handles
Love Handles Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Earlier this year, there was some heavy duty dieting going on in the forum. I wonder how everyones been doing and did you use your egg for much of the diet food. My waistline just keeps getting bigger, and ITS TIME!, if you know what I mean--See Yaa

Comments

• LoveHandles,[p]I think the ceramic cookers do a great job with about any type of diet food. There are several low-carbers on this board and also on the grey room board. I am a yo-yo dieter and eat all I want in the summer and then low-carb all winter. Me and my bride just got started yesterday with my low carb chili and I will be making low carb pizza today for the big snow storm. [p]Watch the forums as I will be putting up some pictures and recipes for low-carb dishes that are pretty good if you are interested in this type of diet. I will probably start with my low carb lasagna which is one of my better casseroles.[p]Dave

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I have lost about 38 lbs over the last year. A pound a week for the first 6 months and a pound or less a month since then. [p]This is a result of that famous diet - you know...
    Eat less.[p]Sadly it has meant cutting back somewhat on my BGE use and now that it is winter I am only egging several times a week and the neighbors are getting most of the food. (They are not complaining. -g-)[p]Toy Man

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    i just had my 6 month check up on monday. . . still waiting for the blood numbers to come back, but my doctor was very happy with my progress to date. . . [p]since june 7th, i've officially lost 14 pounds (down from 226 to 212). . .so i'm averaging a good 2 pounds per month. . ..and i'm not feeling hungry .. .my daily bgl numbers have continued to be good. .. [p]i did fall off the wagon over thanksgiving, gaining 3 pounds back, but i was happy to be at 212 on monday. . . .[p]i actually eat more food from the egg these days. .. .my change of life style (ITS NOT A DIET) has me eating much less starches (bread/rice/taters) and more protein (meat and cheese) and salads/fruit. . . .sort of a modified atkins thing. .. .and of course, no coca cola or other soft sweet drinks. ... i will pound down a pound of meat in a heartbeat though :) so plenty of egging opportunities. .. .

• LoveHandles,
    There is a great book called BODY FOR LIFE by Bill Phillips that goes into both aspects of weight loss, diet and excercise. You will be amazed at how easy the diet portion of weight loss can be once you look at it from the position of portion control and carb to protein ratio. I use the egg all the time and follow a high protein and low carb diet six days a week and then one day a week I eat whatever I want. If you want more information please feel free to cantact me.[p]Rob

• Love Handles
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    Thanks to all the responses--I think I can do the low carb thing easy. I like all kinds of meats, fish, chicken, etc, so it will probably work good for me. Bad thing is I also like all kinds of BEER. Thanks again to all who responded[p]See Yaa

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    you can still drink your beer, just figure the total carbs into your intake. .. . there is nothing wrong with some carbs. ..you just have to balance out . .. . want a big baked potato tonight with dinner? that's fine, then skip the beer tonight. . ..tomorrow night have a big steak and a salad, and swill down a couple of beers with that. . .[p]or, opt for a 1/2 cup serving of spuds and 1 beer. ... [p]if i know i want a piece of cake for desert, then i skip the carbs at dinner. ... or if i have pasta at dinner (even the low carb stuff), then i'll enjoy my sugar free jello for desert. .. . [p]its not as hard as you think. .. . yesterday for example, i had a big hunk of leftover hanger steak for lunch (zero carbs). .. .for dinner, i had two burgers with brie on them (no buns) and a big wedge of iceberg lettuce with french dressing (total carbs for dinner, about 3). ...so for desert i had some good chocolate cookies. . . .my total carb intake for the entire day was probably less than 20 grams of carbs. . ..yet i was a full happy guy. ... .

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    I agree with everything you said. It is a change of lifestyle and habits. If you think it out ahead of time you can really enjoy eating and still lose weight.[p]Rob

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    bacon and eggs fried in butter for breakfast, cheese for morning break, a piece of chicken or a little steak for lunch, jerkey or cheese for the afternoon break, big steak with mushrooms or a bowl of shrimp for dinner and some fried pepperoni slices for the evening dropped over 40 pounds in just a few months. four 20 ounce pints of freshly poured guinness per night. bread really did me in this summer along with the sam adams though and its time to start the diet again.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Old Dave,
    What do you do to make a low carb pizza? -RP

• Love Handles
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I wonder if mexican beers would have the same results. Sounds like a great diet to me. Thanks--Mike

• Love Handles
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I think I can do that, sounds pretty easy. I just need to stay away from the sweets as much as possible. I don't remember you being that big when I met you. I was surprised to hear you were eating differently now. See-Yaa

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    while i may not have been as big as some guys (particularly those in attendance the day we met. .heee), my diagnosis of high cholesteral, high BP and type 2 diabetes required my change of life style. . . my current goal is to get under 200 pounds . . .that would officially take me off the 'obese' mark on the medical charts. .. ultimately goal is to get below 190. . . we'll see about that ... most important is to control my diabetes and other things to live long and nag my children for many years to come :)

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Where does the chocolate chip kahalua cake fit in that?

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Love Handles
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    HIP--HIP MAX MAN

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Squeeze,
    LOL. ..but i figure a normal slice of that to be in the 25 - 30 carb range (hey, i use diet pudding and low fat sourcream)... .so when i make that cake, its definitely a non-starch dinner night. . .. steak and salad, chicken and salad and/or fruit, etc. .. then i can enjoy my slice of cake, and even have a big scoop of the low carb ice cream on top (both edy's and briars make a very good 'carb smart' ice cream these days. . .

• bbqwizard
    Options
    LoveHandles,[p]Although I started things before recieveing the Egg, I have lost 50 pounds and went from a 38 to a 30 waist. I'm only 5'2" so that is a big differnce.[p]The egg has helped though! One of the biggest reasons for weight gain is stress. The Egg has been known to cure a lot of that for me.[p]phillip
  • bbqwizard
    Options
    Pete,[p]I have followed basically the same formula and it has worked beautifully.[p]phillip
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    AZRP,
    Jog in place while it's cooking?

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • AZRP,[p]I just put up some information on low carb pizza. Twice!!![p]Dave

• bbqwizard,[p]Stress. Hormonal imbalance (especially in women), insulin resistance (mostly). Among other things.
  • Dos Huevos
    Options
    I'm not dieting per se, but since my surgery I am eating smaller (and to that end normal) sized portions. Since halloween I've lost 28 pounds. [p]Of course, my boobs aren't as totally awesome as they used to be, but that's to be expected.[p]LOL
  • Dos Huevos,[p]You had breast reduction surgery? On Halloween???