Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

A Northwoods Vacation...Mini and Non-Egg smoking

FritzFritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We just got back from a family reunion in the northwoods (northern MN). On the way up and back we camped and cooked wings and brats on the mini BGE. Good stuff. I had not brought charcoal, but when I opened the mini it had some lump in it. There was enough for both cooks. It is amazing how little lump the mini needs to do a meal.[p]At the reunion site I cooked one meal. (There were 40 of us there and each family took a turn.) They had those barrel type smokers there and everyone was doing suff like brats and fajitas. One of the family members brought two farm raised chickens weighing 9 pounds each. Before I knew about the chickens I was talkig about the BGE to this guy and told him about beer-butt chicken. He then told me aout the chickens he brought. Well, that was it, I was drafted. :-) We rubbed the hens with some spice and let them sit. I used my BGE thermometer to keep track of the cooking temp. They ended up cooking for about an hour and a half at 400-450*. We had scrounged up some dead maple branches and used that for smoke. We barely had enough meat. Thank goodness for macaroni and cheese. :-) Anyway, I think I sold at least one BGE and definately sold everyone on beer-butt chicken. I was also quite surprised how well the hens did in that old barrel smoker. A large BGE would have been better, but the skills I have obtained from using the BGE transferred pretty well to that metal thing.[p]Hope all is well with everyone and the eats have been good![p]Fritz

Comments