Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

8 butts on 2 large BGEs

BGE Pit CrewBGE Pit Crew Posts: 149
edited 5:53PM in EggHead Forum
Hi all, I have the pleasure of doing 8 butts for my mother-in-law 60th (oops) B-Day party this Saturday. I can't remember if I have smoked 4 on a large before, and/or what my set-up was. Any pics or techniques would be greatly appreciated. Keep smokin, Dana

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    BGE Pit Crew,[p]I use a full load o' lump, inverted plate setter, a deep drip pan with a small spacer, & grid extender, two butts on each level (heavier ones on the upper grate). An alarm clock (set at 16 hours) and gin martini's are optional.[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BordersBorders Posts: 665
    Dana, I'm always looking for a reason to smoke some butts. I can easily do 3 if you need some help. I'm in north Tampa.

• Borders , thanks a ton! I have a buddy five minutes away wiht a large EGG, but wanted to see if I could do this one solo. I'll keep posting. Dana

• thirdeye, thanks for the info! How is the space with the top two butts? Still get good air flow? Dana

• Chef WilChef Wil Posts: 702
    BGE Pit Crew,
    I jus did 4 for thanksgiving with no problem, indirect, legs up with drip pan, bbq guru set at 225, 16 hrs.

• Chef Wil, thanks Chef Wil! All 4 on the raised grill? Dana

• 30pounds.jpg
    <p />BGE Pit Crew,
    Above are four butts on a large:[p]And here they are in the kitchen:[p]30pounds2.jpg[p]Hope this helps![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • 8-Butts.jpg
    <p />BGE Pit Crew,[p]Here ya go.[p]Here they are 20 hours later.[p]8-Butts-20-hours.jpg[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    BGE Pit Crew,[p]Yes, airflow is no problem. TNW's picture above says it all.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Chef WilChef Wil Posts: 702
    BGE Pit Crew,
    jus like GrillMeisters

• SSN686SSN686 Posts: 3,159
    Morning BGE Pit Crew:[p]Here is a shot of how I stuffed 4 8#ers on my large.[p]P4300015.jpg[p]Good luck with the cook.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• GrillMeister, thank you very much. I love the friendship and help on this forum. keep smokin, Dana

• The Naked Whiz, now I have two options! You guys are great! Thanks for the pics. Keep smokin, Dana

• SSN686, thank you for the great pic! Again, thanks for all the great help. Dana

• GrillMeister,[p]I have been sick the last couple of days (again...fifth time this year:( and just the thought of food hasn't been pleasant. But, your pictures are starting to make me hungry....again.[p]phillip