Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lobster/clam bake on the Big Green Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw on the NBC Today show that a lobster/clam bake at home could use a charcoal grill with seaweed to provide the moisture for steaming just like you would on the beach. I want to try this on August 9th and wonder if anyone has done this on the BGE. I plan to get the lobsters and clams from Maine by Fedex along with several pounds of seaweed. I'll get the fire going and try to hold it at around 300 degrees. Then put on a layer of seaweed; then 6 lobsters (that have just been killed); then more seaweed; then clams; then seaweed; then a layer of muscles; and top with more seaweed. Maybe 12 to 15 minutes they should be steamed and delicious (I hope). [p]Has anyone ever tried this on the Big Green Egg? If so can you offer any suggestions??[p]Thanks!

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    ken jone,[p]I haven't tried this on the Egg, but the idea fascinates me. I would suggest picking up a second cooking grid such as the replacement for an 18.5 inch Weber kettle sold at most home improvement, hardware stores, etc. They are inexpensive and an exact fit for the large Egg. Place this on top of the porcelan coated original Egg grid such that the rails are perpendicular to each other to lessen the chance of seaweed falling into the firebox.[p]Let us know how this cook works out for you![p]K~G

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    ken jone,[p] The August/September 1997 issue of Fine Cooking had an excellent article on the subject (it's not on their website, but I might be convinced to fax it to you if you twist my arm hard enough). I've wanted to try it for a while (I had the best intentions of doing it at Eggfest 2000, but got busy at work/lazy at home so I did pulled pork instead) but haven't gotten around to it yet (biggest problem was finding the seaweed -- didn't want to pay the $$ for seafood shipped from Maine so I was looking locally for the materials). I also seem to recall something on NBC (or one of their affiliates) a while back on the subject (I have a printout of the web article at home). Maybe you saw a rerun?[p]MikeO
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Just to prove that I really was thinking about it, here's a post from last year :-).[p]MikeO
    [ul][li]Roast Post[/ul]
  • MikeO, Thanks for the prompt reply to my question. I did see the Today show and that is where I got the idea. I have not been able to get into their archives to see if they have a "reprint" of that program BUT I would really like to get the infromation from you by fax. Our fax # is 828 698 1168. We live in Flat Rock, North Carolina now but lived on the coast of Maine for 12 years before moving here in 1997. Some of our best memories are of lobster/calm bakes on the shore just in front of our house. We still have a contact their that will send the lobsters, clams and seaweed by Fedex when we call ... it is expensive but it makes a great special occasion. My wife asked my what I wanted for my birthday (August 9th) and I said "a clam bake like we used to have in Maine". SO, we have the lobsters and clams on order and any help you can give us would be appreciated. We do subscribe to Fine Cooking but for some rerason we can't find the Aug/Sept 1997 issue. I'll give you a report on how this works out ... who knows this may be the best thing to happen sine "sliced bread".[p]Thanks again,[p]Ken Jones