Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! first beef brisket sort of

guavawood
guavawood Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife, bless her heart, went and bought me a brisket because she knows I want to do that next and they were on sale. She came home with a 3 lb. labeled "bone in beef brisket stew".
It was also sliced in thirds.
Now what do I do? I'm armed with an assortment of Dizzy rubs, crushed garlic, mustard, etc. Anyone got ideas on how to prepare this in the egg, how long to cook, temps, drip pan? [p]Aloha![p]Greg

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    guava wood,
    You need to make a pot of beef stew with that meat Greg.
    Larry

• YB,[p]Seriously? I can't just tie 'em back together with some stuff in if and slow smoke it? How about if I say pretty please? I don't want beef stew.[p]Greg
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    guava wood,
    Would you prefer Brunswick stew?[p]lol

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Bobby-Q,
    Now that is some good stuff....if only Dos Heuveos would give up his recipe.....

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Bobby-Q, If I have to do a stew can I at least cook the meat on the Egg? Is this a hopeless cause? Is there no other way?[p]Thanks,[p]Greg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    guava wood,[p]If it was marked "bone-in brisket" you must have the trim off section of the brisket we all know and love. The bone is most likely the sternum bone. [p]If you are not into stew, why not trim the pieces of hard fat, if needed, and cook for either pit beef (Both ClayQ & Old Dave have techniques out there using chuck, maybe you could modify for this),or barbecue and use for chopped brisket for sandwiches. [p]Barbecue has it's roots in using the throw-away cuts and turning them into something wonderful.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    guava wood,
    You could try and tie it up and slow cook it. I'd coat it in Cow lick and turbinado sugar and tie it all up and give it a go at 225°. Start checking tenderness at around 180°.[p]Worst case there is you have some smoked stew meat that would be pretty dang good mixed with some chicken and PP in a brunswick stew.[p]Good luck and Aloha

• Bobby-Q,[p]
    Thanks! I might give it a try and will let you know.[p]Thanks and Aloha right back![p]Greg

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Greg,
    Just cook the whole stew on the Egg. Get yourself a cast Iron Dutch oven and do not pre-cook the meat. Leave the lid off of the Dutch Oven and you will have all the smokey flavor that you need.[p]Hopes this helps,
    RhumAndJerk