Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Yet another Turkey question

NessmukNessmuk Posts: 251
edited 2:26PM in EggHead Forum
'Cat fan,
My experience in cooking many fowl on a Spanek vertical tower.[p]Large Egg
Placesetter inverted
Spanek tower with base to catch fluids
12#, American Heritage turkey never frozen
A polder inserted thru a potatoe to register temp @ grid level
A polder in the breast of the turkey
Brined the bird overnight in a mix from Williams-Somona. recommend use of half of the ingrediets as it is for a 20# bird.
Used a 2.5 gallon plastic bag with a zipper top set in a aluminum pan. There wasn't enough room for the liquids recommended.
It took 5 hours for the breast temp to reach 170.
I intedned to cooked it at 250.
The temps readings as follows.
The average & median were within 2 or 3 degrees.
Grid temp...252
Dome temp...350
Breast temp...245
I spritz once an our with olive oil & this time apple cider.
It turned out golden brown & moist.
When the breast temp reached 170, I removed it & wraped it in film & placed it in a styrofoam container for 30 minutes.
I removed the thighs & cooked them on the grill until done.
The family & guests rated it at a perfect 10.[p]Typical food market birds were selling for 58 cents to 1.09.[p]We gave up on them 3 years ago.

·