Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with which BGE!

Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For years I've been using a gas weber grill. I really like it, but had an occassion to be with some friends recently where they truly charcoaled and it was great. I saw the BGE recently and am needing some of your wise opinions with these questions.[p]1)Are any of you converts from gas/propane to BGE? If so what are the differences you see in cooking and taste? Do any of you use both gas or propane and your BGE?[p]2)Prices for the BGE range from $270 to $550. Is the large BGE the only way to go or can you get what you want out of the smaller ones?[p]Thanks for all your thoughts, I really do appreciate them.[p]Franco

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Franco,
    I started with an old clay hibatchi pot that looked like an Egg almost 30 years ago. It died and my wife surprised me with a gas grill. I really missed that old pot. You just can't get the good smoke flavor off a gassy like you can an Egg.[p]You will have difficulty getting a good slow fire on a gassy like you can with an Egg. Pulled pork and briskets are not even in the same league with what you will get with the Egg. Again the smoke flavor thing just can't be matched.[p]I never could get my gassy up to a good searing temp, like 750F, like you can with the Egg.[p]I still use my Weber Genesis occasionally if I want something really quick. But I just got a small Egg to go with my large and I can see the Weber gathering more and more dust.[p]If you can swing it, get the large. It can handle more food than a smaller one. It does low and slow cooks better as well IMO. Whichever way you go, you won't be disappointed.
    JimW[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Franco,[p]Answers:[p]1. I did the Webber gas kettle, 2-3 msc gas monsters and the occasional charcoal briquette thing. The later always produced the best taste, but at the cost of time to setup and watch it and then cleaning 80% ash out when its done. The gas was always fast, easy and always BLAND. Those nights when after 3 min of good flames, you suck the last of the bottle and the flame goes out, were no fun!! My gas grill would cost me $90 every other year to keep maintained. [p]The Egg does not use briquettes so you get a tiny fraction of ash compaired to briquettes (cheaper too). The taste can be anything from the regular charcoal taste to sloppy with smokey tatse, it depends on how much wood chunks you add in. You can also do MANY MANY more things than with a Gas anything grill -- pizza, breads, bannana balinese, ribs you don't boil 1st, brisket, pulled pork, prime rib roast etc,etc,etc,...................[p]2. Buy the large. If you can't swing that get the medium. I would suggest nothing smaller as those do best as second units. When you compare the warranty the BGE has against damage you will see that you Egg will last an awful long time - which can't be said about most gas grills. You just can't compare them since the Egg can do so much more and do it so much better.[p]Check out my website for more ideas. Linked below for you. Enjoy - and we hope to welcome you soon to the BGE family.[p]http://www.tm52.com/bge/
    Tim

[ul][li]http://www.tm52.com/bge/[/ul]
  • Franco,[p]One of the best reasons to get a BGE is right here, the forum. You will find some very knowledgable and helpful people here. Anything you may consider cooking has been done and perfected by many on this board.If you post a question about how to do Chicken leg quarters,for example, within an hour you'll usually have 5-6 responses with cooking temps and times suggested. [p]I bought my large BGE about a year ago. It is easily the best purchase I have ever made. (ok , except for an engagement ring 15 years ago) Before the Egg, I used a Ducane gas grill. While it was in the shop for service, I cooked on charcoal.What a difference! About a month later, I visited a friend in Atlanta who has a medium BGE. I was sold. And I agree with the others. Get the Large. I wish they made one even bigger. [p]Now I have a freshly serviced Ducane gas grill with rotisserie attachment under a dust cover in the garage. I doubt I'll ever use it again.[p]Good Luck

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Franco,
    I have a medium. You can do everything with it that you can with a large, except 24 hour low and slow cooks without refueling, and Q-ing very large turkeys. Last week I pulled a 8 pound Boston Butt after a 14 hour low and slow and had about 2/3 of the lump left. If you can afford a large go and purchase one. After you do, like most of us you will want a second egg or own one.[p]Welcome to the forum. All of the guys and gals will treat you as family. Keep posting your questions and than just sit back and marvel at the wealth of knowledge coming your way.
    Fireball [p]

• Franco,[p]I grilled for 21 years on a gas grill. No comparison. Here are the differences:[p]Egg has temp control.[p]Egg can be brought to much higher heat, since it is ceramic.[p]Egg maintain moisture in the dome therefore food is much more moist, mor juicy, and less dry. [p]A nice charcoal (any wood you prefer) flavor rather than a gas smell.[p]Quick starting Charcoal. (lump that is)[p]Long cooks are much easier.[p]And access to this forum where there are committed grillers who all like good food, and like to have a lot of fun.[p]If you get an EGG, you will never be sorry.[p]Good luck to you.[p]Anthony[p]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Fireball,[p]"You can do everything with it that you can with a large, except 24 hour low and slow cooks without refueling.."[p]I would humbly disagree with you on the refueling issue. Last weekend I cooked an 11.5 pound brisket for about 30 hours and still had enough lump in the egg to grill a dozen chicken breasts the next day. Not only that, there was enough lump left even after that to get the thing up to 1000 degrees and cook my egg shut. See the posts earlier this week regarding that.[p]Honestly, I packed the firebox FULL, to the top of the fire ring. I lit the lump and it held 200-250 for 30 hours with time and lump to spare. I never thought it possible until I actually did it. Give it a shot, you'll be surprised at how long that medium will cook low and slow with a full belly.[p]Troy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />Franco, welcome to the BGE forum. I only used gas up until last September when I bought a BGE for my wife for her birthday.[p]If you can afford it and are cooking for a large family or group, get the large. If you do't get the large get at least the medium - The BGE in the picture is my medium BGE - the link is to my web site - all the entries are made on the medium BGE.[p]While I have never done a 30 hour cook without refueling, I have done a few of the 20 hour variety. [p]Good luck!
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Franco,
    I owned a gas grille, bought a big Big Green Egg and recently received a Mini BGE and we use them all. Sometimes it's quicker to fire up ol' gassy and to veggies or even hamburgers for those poor souls that 'don't like the strong taste of charcoal' (is something being bred out of the human race?)
    I must admit that Ol' Gassy doesn't get all that much use though as I get better at timing things oon the Eggs.
    My sons-in-law are sucking up to try to get me to leave my Eggs to one of them in the will...they are samrt enough to let me do the cooking for now and they won't have to spend any money...yet.[p]Carey