Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Creole or Cajun recipe suggestions

J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have been volunteered to donate food /cook for a fundraiser to benefit Katrina victims who have relocated to our (cold) city. What should we make to feed a crowd? We really can't afford to spend a lot of money on ribs or a ton of shrimp. I am welcoming any suggestions. Thanks in advance! Julie

Comments

• Hey Julie, why not conjur up a pot of that gumbo that was a hit some time back? Other options - Dirty Rice, Jambalaya some chickory coffee and beignets??? Just a few thoughts! Joe
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 45
    J Appledog,[p]IMHO, it's real hard to beat injected pulled pork for taste, affordability and the anility to feed many[p]Woody

• J Appledog,[p]Jambalaya (sausage and chicken) or red beans & rice--you feed a ton of people for not much money...
  • John
    John Posts: 62
    Hey JAppledog. I live in Louisiana. Just a few miles from New Orleans. Been there just about every day. (WOW, it's beyond your imigination!) If not in N.O., I have been in the Rita affected area. Try feeding them some of your favorite inexpensive dishes. We eat jambalya and gumbo and red beans and ... EVERY DAY. It's not special amymore for us. Try a pulled pork or chicken quarters if you wanna use the egg. If not another thing popular here is a pasta-laya. Jam with pasta not rice. Grill some meat balls and do a twist on spaghetti. We are CAJUN... we eat anything! If it don't eat us first. haha :cheer:
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    J Appledog,
    Julie, I second the opinion for red beans and rice. I lived in New Orleans for two years and we ate and found plenty of beans and rice cooked with smoked summer sausage pieces and french bread. You can use any kind of bean from pintos to white, red, etc., they will love it (as I do) regardless, cooked with garlic, onion, and louisana red hot sauce. :)
    Its a lot simpler than Jambalaya and tastes just as good to most people. There are numerous recipes on the web, so just grab one and go for it!
    Thanks for helping the victims.[p]HTH
    Ron.[p]

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    J Appledog, My thinking is they are experts at their type of food and you are an eggspert at what you cook - SO DO WHAT YOU DO BEST - Show them what real BBQ is and cook a shoulder !! Instead of mediocare (sp)cajun food (no offense) serve them some GREAT pulled pork. IMHO

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    crkscrw,
    smart answer, you win !!!
    I wuz gonna say that meeself.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    J Appledog,
    This is a great and easy recipe.
    Larry[p]
    Couzan Billy's Jambalaya
    From the kitchen of Kevin Taylor, the BBQ Guru[p]I know there are many Jamba recipes out there. This one is unique in that you throw everything into the pot and cook. No making a roux, no browning the meat, no cooking the rice. It is ideal for doing on the grill. Matter of fact, I cook this for Friday night supper at the cook-offs! This recipe I adapted from one given to me by my good friend Bill Conklin…Couzan Bill, a real Cajun![p]1 pound converted rice, uncooked
    1 can French onion soup
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1/4 pound butter, cut into pieces
    1 cup onions, chopped
    1/2 cup green onion, minced
    1 small green pepper, diced
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    3 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon crab boil
    2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
    2 tablespoons Tabasco
    1 pound smoked sausage
    1 pound crawfish tails (or shrimp)
    3 pieces chicken breasts, cubed
    2 to 3 cups chicken stock[p]Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or simply place pot on the grill.[p]Combine everything in a 5-quart ovenproof pot. Start with 2 cups of chicken stock. Mix well. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours or longer.[p]You may add more chicken stock based on the consistency you want.[p]Stir before serving. Keeps well.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Hmm, Memphis, What I do best is Caribbean barbecue. That's pretty close to Creole. NOW I'm inspired. Thanks for the suggestion! [p]Happy Thanksgiving. Julie
  • J Appledog,[p]Just be sure to use copious amounts of Tony's and day-b-awright!