Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooks Illustrated's herbed turkey results.

J Straus
J Straus Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, just to add a few cents here at turkey time because I'm sure many a TG turkey will be done in a BGE...

I did my first Egged turkey yesterday. I wanted to try the Cooks Illustrated recipe and the BGE, and will be out of town for Thursday, so I figured Sunday football would have to do as a nucleus for the event.

I digress.

I used the below paste recipe and rubbed under the skin on the breast (separating from the large cavity side, or bottom of the breast.) I also cut in along the ribcage under the breast from the neck side with a fillet knife and packed herb past in there. This gets the mix under the breast and it permeates well during the cook.

I was a little concerned that the past may be too intense with that much parsley etc., but it was not. I did a 13 lb. bird and didn't use all the paste, wanting to err on the safe side. If doing again, I would use leftover paste in butter for the full body rub down.

Anyway, it turned out beautifully cooking at almost 400 degrees in foiled lined V rack breast down for 1st hour. Then flipped and cooked another 1.5 hours. I pulled at 160 breast temp and 175 thigh (BIG thanks to TNW and Mad Max's suggestion to ice the breast before cooking!) I would have pulled a little lower before resting, I think it came out SLIGHTLY overdone, but it was great. We breasted and then sliced the breast w/ serrated knife, and that worked great too. Herbs and Skin for each slice of breast.

The herbs are definitely worth a go, the meat picks up the flavor and I'm glad to say it's subtle. Give it a try!

Happy holidays all,

Justin

Did the paste as follows:

1 1/4 cups chopped fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves (roughly chopped)
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
1 medium shallot , minced (about 3 tablespoons)
2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest , from 1 lemon
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil

Comments

• Thanks for sharing. How was the gravy?
  • Gravy (basically the CI recipe too) was great. I browned neck and stuff, then sweated onion, carrot, celery for about 20 and then added stock to simmer, then strained and then added to medium brown roux (1/4 C flour and 3 T of oil). Stripped the neck and minced with liver, gizzard, and heart and added back with the drippings. It turned out great. I used chicken stock for liquid but next time want to do Max's stock instead of low sodium chicken stock. Mine was reduced quite a bit and I'm very glad I didn't add any salt because it was on the rich side and didn't need any.

Worked great!

Justin
  • I appreciate it. Have a Great Thanksgiving!