Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy Pulled Pork Recipe?

Options
Daddio
Daddio Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a good (but simple) recipe for pulled pork bbq using either boston butts or pork shoulders?

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Daddio,[p]slather with mustard, sprinkle on rub, heat @250 indirect, pull at 190 internal. Boring, but a simple recipe. If you want a little longer read, try this...

[ul][li]actually a lot better info[/ul]
  • Daddio
    Options
    eggor, I used this recipe from Mr. Ward several years ago. The end product turned out good. But I found the steps were so involved that I was exhausted when done and questioned if so much was necessary. [p]For example I remember when I was new with my Egg that I followed all his steps on loading the firebox. Sorting and placing big pieces here and little pieces there - nuts. Now I just open the bag of lump and pour it in. I've never had a problem with the fire using the easy method.[p]Anyway, I say all that to suggest that there's got to be an easier, simpler recipe for pulled pork. All this year I've been working on an easy brisket recipe and finally perfected it. It's now posted in the new recipe section.[p]So again, if anyone has an easy, less involved recipe and method for great pulled pork, please share.
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Daddio,[p]I agree, the simpler the recipe the better. Some of the recipes posted here are great, but many times the seem to read more like a story. I am always in the process of taking a recipe/story that turns out good and breaking it down into a printed version that is just ingredients, times, and temps and then put stars on how it rates. I do title all recipes by who posted it.[p]Will check out your brisket recipe.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Daddio,
    you looking for something easier than 'sprinkle with dry rub, let sit for a night or so, throw on the egg til done?'[p]that's basically the recipe.[p]seriously, what steps are you finding troublesome?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Daddio
    Options
    stike, I had commented earlier to Eggor about how so many of the recipes I've found here are great, but are very involved. They have lots of ingredients and steps that take lots of time (in the store, in the kitchen and watching the temp)and leave me exhausted by the time I finish. The ideal state (for me) is to perform a few steps with a few ingredients and then put it on the egg and then "fire and forget" - AND still produce a quality product.[p]By comparison, for the last several months, I have been on a quest for a simple brisket recipe. I sifted through all the recipes online and those in our cookbooks. I tested different ones and have finally think I have perfected an easy tender brisket recipe that has repeatable results. I posted it just last night under the new recipe section.[p]To say it a different way, through experimentation, I found a way to reduce the ingredients and cooking steps into a simple recipe for brisket that tastes great. I'm now turning my attention to pulled pork and was just checking to see if anyone may have already perfected a simple recipe that does not sacrifice quality?
  • stike
    Options
    Daddio,
    i believe the same thing. i don't think barbecue started out very complicated, and so i fight any 'improvements'.[p]i really just rub, dump in the lump, set fthe fire, and put it on til done.[p]couldn't be simpler.
    i mixe my own rub as i go. sligtly different each time, but basically the same ingredients.[p]i do it at 225-230, takes 2 to 2.5 hours a pound (to 190 internal or so).[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    Daddio,
    i just apply dizzypig coarse grind,cover with mustard, and another dose of coarse grind. with ribs i do the same thing with different rubs. i never let the rub sit over night and apply when i light the egg. 225-250 grate level, raised grate over a pizza stone. for brisket i do the same thing except i use a steak rub, and put a covering of turbinado sugar on the top side only. briskets i make sure to keep the temps at or below 220 for most of the cook at grate level. marinating over night with rubs gives me an off flavor especially with ribs, so i dont do it anymore. im happy with hickory cherry combos for smoke as straight hickory is too strong for my tastes

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NCEgger
    Options
    Daddio,[p]I am not sure what you consider simple, but here goes my recipe. Buy the pork shoulder(s), brine overnight in 1/2 Apple Cider Vinegar 1/2 Apple Juice. Get the fire started, filling to the top of the Fire Box or Fire Ring (enough for 18 hours or so). Rub Crushed Red Pepper over the Butt. Cook Indirect using Drip Pan until 190-195. I then wrap in foil and towel and put into a cooler until I am ready to pull.[p]My Indirect setup is main grid, large drip pan filled with water/apple cider vinegar (don't use something too sugary as it will burn), grid with handles resting on drip pan, v-racks, Butts. (I bet you could do without the v-racks. I found two adjustable v-rack at Bed Bath and Beyond for $6.95 each. I love them.)[p]I have cooked a Butt direct one time for 8 hours. It was good but dry. I have used this indirect method ever since.[p]BTW, this is my first post on the forum. I love this place and thanks for all of the help.
  • NCEgger
    Options
    I forgot my cook temperature. I keep it between 225-250.
  • Daddio
    Options
    stike, I know that you mix your own rub, but have you found a good store-bought one? What about smoking wood - what's your preference? Also, I like my pulled pork with a hint of vinegar tanginess. I'm guessing the best way is to sprinkle the finished product with a little vinegar with some spices?[p]I too used to mix my own rub for brisket until I came across the John Henry's brisket rub at BBQ Galore's by accident. I found it to be really good and it saved me from having to buy and mix all the individual ingredients myself.[p]There was a time where all my rub spices were monopolizing the kitchen spice cabinet space. And (it seemed) I was always running out of one spice at just the wrong moment and had to make a dash for the store. And then there's the cost. And then some would invariable get stale.[p]What a headache. Now I just buy the one large shaker of John Henry's and I'm done. The wife's probably happy too as I'm not crowding her spice cabinet!
  • Daddio
    Options
    NCegger, your recipe seems to fulfill the "keep it simple" requirements I'm looking for. What kind of smoking wood do you use and how much? [p]Also, does it really take 18 hours to get the meat to the optimum internal temp?[p]Thanks! Daddio
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Daddio,
    Cover butt with mustard, apply your favorite rub heavily, wrap in film, inject at this point if you wish. Put in fridge. I leave it overnight. When ready to cook establish 250 dome with inderect set up. Drip pan filled with whatever turns you on. Cook to 195 internal wrap in foil place in cooler until ready to pull.
    Works for me. Oh yeah, if you have Wicked Good Lump I think that is best suited for these low and slows.

• stike
    Options
    Daddio,
    i use hickory and oak, whatever i have on hand.
    mix the chips chunks or whatever right in with the lump.[p]i think it's traditional in some parts to mix vinegar (and a little pepper sauce, etc.) into the PP after pulling.[p]again, i think it is a 'put in what you like' kinda thing.[p]to answer a question you had above, yeah, it takes that long (18 hours or so+) becasue the collagen needs a long while to break down (around 160-70 internal). that's what gives an otherwise tuff piece of meat the illusion of tenderness/moistness

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Options
    Daddio,[p]I haven't cooked but 4 butts, so I am no expert by any means. However, I both John Henry and Dizzy pig rubs at home and after trying both on a variety of meats, the John Henry is way on the back of the shelf and the Dizzy pig basically falls out when you open the door.[p]Also, the last 2 I injected with 7 parts apple juice, 1 part apple cider vinegar per DP's instructions with excellent results.[p]I've never smeared with mustard but that would help the rub stay in place... I'll try that Monday when I make my next one.[p]I clean the ashes out of the firebox and dump the Ozark Oak or Wicked good right from the bag and it has worked out just fine, but my cooked were boneless and took less time than the bone-in. There could be ash issues with a longer cook.[p]I used pecan wood because at the time it was all I has. Pecan leaves a very distinct pink smoke ring. That was probably the hardest part of the cook since all I had was a log and had to go at it with the axe to get some chips. The first cook I used mequite and won't ever use that again -- too strong and bitter.[p]Ed
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Daddio - if you want simple pulled pork, forget the rub, forget the smoking wood and just put your 10 pound butt on your BGE at a dome temperature of about 250 for 15 hours. Cover it with foil and wait one hour. With your hands, shred the meat, discarding the bone and any fat or connective tissue and serve with some Kraft BBQ sauce. That's as simple as it gets.

Does it take 15-20 hours? It depends on how much fat you want in your meat. Cooking it slow allows the fat and connective tissue to separate from the meat. The longer the meat spends in the 165-180 range the easier it is to remove it. My wife does not like any fat. I let it take 20 hours. Can you do it in 5 hours? Yes, but it's not the same.

All of the details that go into making the recipe complicated are what makes the resulting product a Grand Champion instead of a DLF (dead last finish) in competition. Is the DLF product good? Yes, but it's not the Grand Champion. As you are already asking about rubs and smoking woods, I sense that you want something more than DLF at home. Take the recipes, sift through what you want and what you don't want. You'll develop your own way of doing things and I bet that someone else watching you will ask - "Why do you do all that?"

And enjoy that pulled pork. The worse I ever did was great!
  • NCEgger
    Options
    Daddio,[p]Yes, it does take around 18 hours. It is best to start the prior evening and let it cook through the night. Depending on when you want it done should dictate what time you start it at night. Don't worry about it finishing early as the foil/towel/cooler will keep it hot until you pull it.[p]I used one fist size chunk of hickory. Be careful with the wood too much can be overpowering. If you forget to soak it you can use smaller chunks around the outside of the main fire.[p]The first time I did indirect I was planning on an 8 hour cook just like my direct cook. By adding the drip pan and making it indirect it easily doubled the cooking time. It made for a long interesting night.[p]Please, no one think this is my concoction as what I have learned has come from this forum, NakedWiz, Tim M, among others. However, like you, I like to keep it simple. I did use Dizzy Dust last time and it was good. I want to try the mustard glaze as well.
  • Daddio
    Options
    Thanks Ed, I recieved lots of good advice like yours. I looked up the Dizzy Pig website and they have lots of good tips too. I think I'm going try a butt or shoulder this weekend DP style - if I can find the DP rub at my BBQ store.

• Daddio
    Options
    Wise One - Thanks for the info. Do you have a favorite recipe you can share that makes for Grand Champion results?

Also, I've done some 12 hour cooks, but I have not done any 15-20 cooks. If you load regular BGE lump up to the top of fire ring in a large BGE, and burn it at 200 - 250 degrees dome temp, will regular BGE lump last for 15-20 hours?