Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First BGE Turkey

BabyBoomBBQBabyBoomBBQ Posts: 702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did an experimental turkey last night using Mad Max's recipe. Came out OK but I missed the herb ratio and used a little too much sage or Tarragon for my taste. It was one of those Manor House "give-away" frozen turkeys from Von's. Gravy was fatastic! I added a little White Truffel oil and it really kicked it up. Wasn't allowed to add wine like I wanted. GF doesn't like wine in gravy, so to keep her from whining, there was no added wine in the gravey. Had to use corstarch also because she can't eat wheat.

Let the egg get a little hot, so I eded up cooking it closer to 350+ than 325. A 14 pounder hit 165+ in the breast in about 4 hours. Used two cups apple chips for smoke. Tented the breast after it browned.

Fresh birds come in Thursday, so I'm going to brine one ala Mrs. Dog's recipe.

Here's a pic: