Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Mustard Method

TractorTractor Posts: 282
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I must have gone wrong somewhere. I would swear that my 1st time or two of searing with mustard went well. But the past several steak sears have imparted my steaks with a mustardy coating. I think my dome temp has been high enough (800 or better which you'd think would burn the yellow stuff off). Maybe I'm using too much mustard?[p]HELP. Thanks.

Comments

• ZipZip Posts: 372
    Tractor,[p]Are you saying the meat doesn't have the crust or is there too much crust? When I do chops and steaks, I use a very light sprinkling of cornstarch before I put the mustard on just enough to coat it. Then I apply my spices and a light sprinkling of "Milled Cane" sugar for a charcrust like coating. I grill at 600° and get a nice crust that is firmly attached with only a tint of yellow underneath. There is no flavor of mustard in the meat. [p]Zip

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Tractor,
    The mustard taste goes away as it cooks. Its the vinegar that helps tenderize and the other stuff gives a nice crust when it cooks but if you taste it - then you had too much or didn't cook long enough for the amount you had on it.[p]Tim

• TractorTractor Posts: 282
    Zip,
    Man, that sounds GREAT. Thanks for the tips. I especially like the cornstarch & cane sugar aspects to your method. I must be grilling too hot & therefore not long enough. Back to the drawing board...[p]Tractor

• TractorTractor Posts: 282
    Tim M,
    Thanks for the info. I'll experiment a little and see what happens.[p]Tractor