Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Ever start a table on fire?

AndyRAndyR Posts: 130
edited 11:47PM in EggHead Forum
Here's a question for you folks. I've dropped my new BBE into its new nest (preasure treated wood table). The opening is snug, touching in some places but otherwise a perfect fit. It rests in a patio stone. I've noticed that the exterior of the Egg gets pretty hot when you crank it up to 700F. Any chance this thing could spark up the table?[p]AndyR

• JimWJimW Posts: 450
    I have the standard BGE table for my large. There is no sign of charring, much less ignition. I think YB built a table that seals in the medium. Maybe he'll jump in here. I don't think you'll have a problem though.

• JJJJ Posts: 951
    This might help you. I would still open it up to a minimum of 1" all around.

[ul][li]Ignition temps[/ul]
  • JJJJ Posts: 951
    YB's top is not made of wood. It is corian.

• Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    AndyR, if you don't want to put a 1" spacing between the egg and table you probably should put some type of insulation in place. Go by an appliance parts store and but about 60" of stove rope. This should provide good insulation between the egg (which although hot is not nearly as hot outside as it inside) and the table.

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,366
    I'm with JJ here. You need some space around that baby. I have about .5 inch all the way around, usually try to center humpty in the space. A couple of times the egg was touching the side, and melted part of this plastic tablecloth I have stapled on, and blackened the wood. Humpty is alive.[p]NB
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Do you have your egg resting on a patio stone and feet?

• AndyRAndyR Posts: 130
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Stone, no feet.
    I think that I will cover a table with oxidized linseed oil. :)[p]That is cool information.[p]Thanks for sharing,

May I suggest the feet as well as the patio stone? The air spacing is crucial to keep the patio stone from breaking.[p]It is also a good idea to keep a layer of ash in the bottom of the egg.[p]Maybe if you use the feet, the egg will not fit as tight in the table thus giving you your needed clearence.[p]Hope this Helps,

• RhumAndJerk, my eggact comments about the feet and stone. Until last weekend I used a stone only and it cracked. I then did a little shopping around as I was afraid with the feet on a 16" round stone it might teeter and be unstable, and stick up too much. Bottomline I replaced the 16" round which are 2" thick with two red patio blocks which measured almost 16" x 8" (Menards)but are only 1 5/8" thick so adding the 3/4" of the feet = 2 3/8" or a rise of a paltry 3/8" which was negligible! ^oo^~
  • Mike OelrichMike Oelrich Posts: 544
    AndyR,[p] In answer to your question, yes. There was a thread last year called "Ring of Fire" in which a table did catch fire. See link below![p]MikeO
    [ul][li]Ring of Fire Thread[/ul]