Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Experiment

Options
SmokingInMO
SmokingInMO Posts: 169
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready for thanksgiving and I thought I would do a turkey trial run this weekend to make sure everything is going to work out okay.
Thanks to someone (don't remember who it was), that posted the picture of the turkey with the two lemon halves slide underneath the breast skin, it gave me an idea.
I have read through madmaxes recipe and thought of an alternative to the ice sitting on the breast for 20 minutes before the cook. Tonight I am going to cut a lemon in half and stick it into the freeezer, tomorrow I'll slide them under the skin just like in the picture and see if this has the same effect as icing the breast down, plus maybe add some flavor in the process. I figure within 30 minutes or so of cooking the lemon will thaw and hopefully (fingers crossed), make the breast and thighs done at the same time.
If it works I am gonna call it the Double D Cup Turkey recipe.

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    SmokingInMO, I brine my turkeys, never ice them and they are always moist. JCA

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Do you taste the salt from the brine???? How long do you brine and are you using table salt or kosher or???[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• J Appledog
    Options
    New Bob, I use kosher salt. I rinse twice. I cook on the grill grid above a 15" (in diameter) drip pan on the plate setter to 161° in the breast. I glaze at about 158°. Julie

[ul][li]Brine recipe[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Hi,
    Thanks for the added info. I use kosher salt mostly in my brine but don't increase it to table salt taste. Works for me.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    SmokingInMO,
    you won't be covering the same surface area, though....[p]might wanna make that a few thick slices, and cover the breast.[p]one half a lemon won't cover much.
    interesting idea tho.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • J Appledog
    Options
    New Bob, Max's idea of putting feet under the drip pan to keep it off the plate setter is a good one. I still haven't figured out why you'd put the bird in a rack in a roasting pan if you've got a good, big drip pan. Maybe he'll respond. I keep winning contests so I must be doing something right.... Julie
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    New Bob,
    After several years of brining, I have settled on the brine from Williams-Sanoma.[p]They now offer extra large, plastic bags.[p]

• SmokingInMO
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Brining it all night, no other way to prep a turkey in my opinion
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    J Appledog,
    you put the bird in the rack, or in my case on the trivet, sot that the bird isn't just sitting cooking in its own juices. . .. [p]you put the drip pan on the feet off the plate setter so that the drippings don't burn in the pan and you can use them for the gravy. . .[p]question for you. ... with your brined turkey, do you ever use the drippings to make gravy? .. .if so, how is it??. . .do you find it too salty? . ...as i've always said, the reason i don't brine is cause i'm too lazy. . .with all the butter and wine and basting, i have no trouble insuring moistness. . ..[p]and you are absolutely doing something right. ..you have the 'dap' to prove it. ...