Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chx Thighs Work-in-Progress

Options
wdan
wdan Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just messin' 'round tonight. Took some boneless, skinless chicken thighs and wrapped them in bacon. No seasoning, rubs, or nothing...wanted to start totally basic/virginal.[p]Cooked on raised grid with drip pan on low grid. Started at 350 dome. After an hour, bacon still wasn't done. Took temp to 400-420-ish. Finally got some spattering in the drip pan and bacon was eventually done...looked like typically, beautifully done bacon wrapped around any BGE dish (bottoms were not burned either). Total cook time was 2 hours however. Meat was a tad dry...duh. Next time 400 dome from the start for hopefully, closer to 1 hour cook time. Prolly throw some rub before bacon wrap too. [p]Outstanding potential here for flavor and presentation. Was actually able to eat while holding in hand...no fork necessary. Honey for dipping was an excellent adder.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    WDAN,[p]I barbecue a lot of skinless chicken with good results. My link below may give you some ideas.[p]~thirdeye~
    [ul][li]Chix[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    WDAN,[p]Those boneless skinless chicken thighs are wonderful and versatile things.... I've been using them more and more in all kinds of recipes and they have so much more flavor than breast meat.[p]I love your idea of the bacon wrapped finger food thigh and might try them this weekend with a dipping mustard or a hot sauce.
    Instead of using a heat deflector, I'll try cooking them like abt's, direct on a raised grid, a couple inches above the bottom lip of the egg, with a small hot fire where the coals are just above the vent holes in the firebox and as far away from the meat as possible. With a dome temp of 325, they should cook in about an hour, maybe more?
    Thanks for the idea.[p]Cheers!
    john