Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

stiff hinges

RRPRRP Posts: 15,310
edited 2:34AM in EggHead Forum
The hinges on my new small egg are extremely tight - in fact only open say 90 degrees vs the straight out 180 degrees. It binds in that position so I don't have to use a tool to unlock, just tug the dome down. Will time and use take care of this and some day I'll wish it was like this? BTW my wife says the two eggs look cute side by side in the table, but I do a Tim the Tool Man grunt when I think of the fire power now vs the old Ducane, which is hiding around the corner and wimpering!
Ron
Dunlap, IL
·

Comments

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    RRP,[p]Give the hinges a shot of WD-40. I've used Hoppes #9 gun oil with good results. Exercise the joint after application.[p]Spin

·
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    RRP,[p]Mine are like that too - no oil will help. Mine sort of actually shave metal - we both need to call BGE and ask their advice. Let me know what they say.[p]Tim
    ·
  • Mike OelrichMike Oelrich Posts: 544
    RRP,[p] My small showed up with the same "feature". I sprayed with WD-40 and worked the hinges. That helped some. Then I noticed that the hinges were bent inward some, too (maybe the BGE got squeezed in storage). I bent them back out so they were straight, applied more WD-40, and now they seem to work OK.[p]MikeO
    ·
  • JimWJimW Posts: 450
    MikeO,
    My small arrived the same way yours did. I bent the hinges out a little and put some wd-40 on them. Within a couple of weeks they were working fine even though they were still a little stiff. They are no problem now.
    JimW[p]

·