Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stiff hinges

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The hinges on my new small egg are extremely tight - in fact only open say 90 degrees vs the straight out 180 degrees. It binds in that position so I don't have to use a tool to unlock, just tug the dome down. Will time and use take care of this and some day I'll wish it was like this? BTW my wife says the two eggs look cute side by side in the table, but I do a Tim the Tool Man grunt when I think of the fire power now vs the old Ducane, which is hiding around the corner and wimpering!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    RRP,[p]Give the hinges a shot of WD-40. I've used Hoppes #9 gun oil with good results. Exercise the joint after application.[p]Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RRP,[p]Mine are like that too - no oil will help. Mine sort of actually shave metal - we both need to call BGE and ask their advice. Let me know what they say.[p]Tim
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    RRP,[p] My small showed up with the same "feature". I sprayed with WD-40 and worked the hinges. That helped some. Then I noticed that the hinges were bent inward some, too (maybe the BGE got squeezed in storage). I bent them back out so they were straight, applied more WD-40, and now they seem to work OK.[p]MikeO
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    MikeO,
    My small arrived the same way yours did. I bent the hinges out a little and put some wd-40 on them. Within a couple of weeks they were working fine even though they were still a little stiff. They are no problem now.
    JimW[p]