Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Plateau? Pork Butts......

Options
WVU-Egg
WVU-Egg Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever experienced a double plateau on pork butts? I have 4 of them in the egg and they first hit the plateau around 169...for a few hours.[p]Then one hit 190 and was there for another hour or two and then even dropped to 188. The other one reached 186 and dropped to 184. It's finally climbed back to 185. [p]Fire is going fine....I have it up to around dome of 250 and heat is coming out good.....[p]Just baffled.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    All kinds of stuff is going on inside your meat while the collagen is breakin down. When a large area of collagen is just about to breakdown, it pulls a lot of heat to keep the process going. Well, that's the way I look at it anyway. Please remember I am an artist and not a scientist. [p]Not a great explanation, byt what I CAN tell you is not to worry! LOL. Just pull it off when it gets like jello.
    Enjoy!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    WVU_Egg,
    Same thing is happening to me right now. I put an 8.5 lb Boston Butt on last night and now, 22 hours later, it is at 190 and has stayed there for about 3 hours. I started out cooking at 225 and just raised it to 250. Fuel is still good as the BBQ Guru is pumping in air and the temp is rising to 250.[p]BrianP

• WVU-Egg
    WVU-Egg Posts: 101
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Well those 4 pork butts took up the rest of my coarse Dizzy rub. So I'll be ordering some more. Real soon.[p]I'm not worrying.......just hungry. So are my neighbors.

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    WVU_Egg,
    I'm kind of a techy-geek at least when it comes to tracking temperature data during low 'n slows. The double plateau is very common but not always a given. Sometimes I've had only one, but one very distinct plateau. Other times I've gotten 3 plateaus that haven't been as obvious. The double is very common too, at least up here in the Great White North. Then again, it could be a climatological thing or even a decadonal phenomenon. lol. Anyway, whatever it does during the dance ain't a problem as long as your machine temp is under control. Pull it off after meat temp is beyond 190 and and closer to 200 and you'll be fine (I usually wait until 200).