Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ClayQ and Thirdeye--reverse TRex follow up questions

Options
Borders
Borders Posts: 665
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was reading ClayQ's post about reverse trexing today and it interested me. The "reason" for searing is to keep juices in, right? When you roast your steak to 130 and then rest it, does it seem to lose more juice during the cook or rest? Even well seared steak will lose a couple tablespoons of juice, so I wondered how this differed.[p]Also, how long do you rest it? And, do you still rest it after the sear?[p]Other than the color and more uniform doneness, do you notice any difference in the meat texture or flavor?[p]Have a great weekend,
Scott

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Borders,
    searing doesn't seal in anything, really. and as discussed below (and on alton's little show), it actually releases juices.[p]but it doesn't release enough to be missed, AND it adds great flavor and texture.[p]you could cook a steak without searing, but in my opinion, it'd be much less enjoyable.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Borders
    Options
    stike, Thanks. I didn't read that part of the thread. Now that I have learned something today, I'll feel better watching football. If someone can improve on the Trex method, then we should easily be able to end our dependence on crude oil!
    Scott

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Borders,[p]I would agree with everyone that the reason for searing is to create tasty flavors. So your choices are searing at the beginning or at the end of the cook. [p]Searing at the end of the cook lets you take advantage of a greater amount of sugars and proteins which have come to the surface of the steak or roast during the cook. This browning (“Maillard Reaction”) takes less time to happen at the end of the cook since the juices are more concentrated and the product is already hot. And for me, I find it easier to raise the temp of the Egg than to lower it. I like end sears on thicker steaks and standing rib roasts.[p]On thinner steaks (1" or less), I quickly sear (one turn) on a grate laid on the lump, then move the steaks to a higher grate to finish. Because the cook time is so short anyway, I can’t tell much difference between this and an end sear. But I do cheat in favor of good ol’ Doc Maillard and baste the cold steak with a mixture of corn syrup, butter and broth to make a base for the “reaction”. This way I don’t have to wait for the natural sugars and proteins to come out of the meat. I get the best of both worlds, nice color and flavor plus even doneness.

I still rest between the cook and the end sear, and again for a few minutes before serving.[p]Happy Trails[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Sounds great. I plan on doing exactly that on my next boned leg of lamb rolled 'n tied roast. I love the bit of char on the outside of a lamb roast. Seems like your plan will allow me to have the internal temp and external char that I seek.[p]Thanks,[p]DD
  • Borders
    Options
    thirdeye, That's great info. Thanks,
    Scoo

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Well for me, reverse TRex seems to work better when cooking thick steaks beyond medium rare. Wife likes medium well or better and doing thick steaks 'reverse' style to this doneness seems to work better. [p]Toy Man