Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE outdoor kitchen

Options
Craig
Craig Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am building a house with a long screened-in patio. I am thinking of building the BGE into a countertop with cabinets. There is open air to the left and in front as it will be in the corner with the back of the egg facing the wall. The roof then hangs over the patio. Will I need a overhead vent? If there are cabinets above the countertop, does that further the need for the vent? I would love to see pics of any outdoor kitchen with the BGE to help me with ideas. Thanks in advance. email pics to cbobik@hsc.usf.edu

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Craig,
    You can see detailed pics of my outdoor kitchen/tiki bar on my website....feel free to email me through my profile here if I can answer any questions you may have...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    WessB,
    That is the coolest![p]Have you done any pizzas lately? How is the outside in stretching method working for you? Curious... Say hey to the family too. Joe

• WessB
    Options
    SMokin Joe,
    Have been pretty busy since the fest and haven`t had time to do any pizza, I would definately like to get your dough recipe for the next one I make though. I remember some of what you told me but not "all" of the details......couldn`t have been the Crown could it..LOL...anyway, if you get a free minute and dont mind, send me an e with the details or just post it here if youd like....It was a pleasure to meet you...[p]Wess

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    WessB,
    As you know, I'm a fan of the thin & crispy crust myself. [p]Here is what I do:
    6 cups of bread flour
    1/2 cup of EVOO
    2 cups of water
    2 packets of the dry yeast
    a pinch of sugar
    1 tsp salt [p]1. mix 4 of the 6 cups of flour and the EVOO together (I have a Kitchenaid) until a granular consistancy
    2. heat 2 cups of water in the micro for 1 min (or so), add in the yeast packs and the sugar and stir - let rest for about 2 minutes to 5 minutes. This activates the yeast.
    3. pour water/yeast mixture into the granular flour/oin mixture and blend on lowest setting
    4. add in flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the side of the mixer
    5. remove dough, roll into a log about 3" diameter and about 10" long and cut into 4 of 5 equal pieces - depending on the side of the pizza (5 pieces is good for the 12" bge baking stone, 4 pieces gets you a 14" to 16" pie depending on how thin you stretch it
    6. roll dough into a pizza ball, wrap in saran and let rest in the fridge
    7. remove and press down into a 1/2 inch "disk" and let rest for 10 to 15 mins
    8. begin stretching by pressing around the outside of the disk and working you way inside. This gives you a thin outside crust and allows you to stretch the whole crust to your desired thickness
    9. you are ready to load it up with your favorite goodies & bake. I tend to keep my pizza in so the edges are brown & crisp, but not burnt. [p]Great to meet you and your family as well!!![p]Good Luck with it! Joe

• WessB
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    The pleasure was absolutely mutual.....and for the record your crust was some of the best I have ever had....Thanks for posting it. You should try to make the Waldorf Eggfest, would be great to hook up again.[p]Wess

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    WessB,
    Thanks for the compliment! I'll have to work on Waldorf! Joe