Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Covering egg

Options
BrianP
BrianP Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I purchased my egg a month or so ago and now that we're heading into the colder and wetter months I wanted to ask: What's the general opinion on covering the egg to protect it from the elements? I know the ceramic pieces won't suffer from rain but I'm starting to see a little oxidation/rust around some of the metal fittings (springs, bolts, etc.). Do you folks cover your eggs?

thanks,
BrianP

Comments

• T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    I live out side Seattle WA. and we get lots of rain. :ohmy:
    I have had my egg for almost a year. I use the Green Egg cover, and I store my caste iron daisy wheel and grid inside my house to prevent rust. I found a Pizza Box that the grid fits in, I just put it in that, and hose it down with cooking spray to store it between my high temp. cooks. I think my egg still looks like new.
  • I just built a plywood "egg carton" for my BGE and accessories. I made it so I can wheel the egg in with side tables up, so I don't have to remove hanging items. It's rather huge - 28x72", but I wanted things covered because we get a lot of snow here at 9200 feet.
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    does the BGE cover last a few years with snow/rain/ice/sun or should I throw a cheap tarp over it for the winter months. Seems kind of silly to protect the protection......