Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

i found hanger steak!!!

mad max beyond eggdomemad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,133
edited 3:12PM in EggHead Forum
if you recall a couple of weeks ago, i talked about eating at anthony bourdain's restaurant in new york city (Les Halles). .. and how he raves in his new book about the great flavor and texture of hanger steak, and i ate the hanger steak at les halles, and it was wonderful, and i had to try it. . ..i tried his recipe on skirt steak, and while it was great, it was a little tough, and i knew i had to find the real mccoy. i was in downtown washington yesterday for a meeting and afterward, i ran over to eastern market and union meats had hanger steak, so i took a couple home ...prepped them per anthony bourdain's method (butterflied, tenderized with a mallet, marinaded in soy sauce and shallots - i skipped the garlic cause the wife is allergic). ...grilled them quickly at around 500 degrees dome temp (about 2 minutes per side). . ..they were nicely done on the outside and medium rare on the inside. ...flavor is very rich, and they are so much more tender than skirt or flank steaks. . .[p]this is a great piece of meat if you can find it. . .i'm told it is also called a "butcher's steak", cause the butchers would take them home for themselves, knowing how good they taste. . .[p]btw, in the true french bistro style, i served them up with real pomme frites (they are pain to make, but oh so good). ....[p]mad "wearing my french beret last night" max