Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GFW's 2.5-1-45-45 ribs are cooking

Options
Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ribset18.jpg
<p />I promised I would someday again try ribs wrapped in foil (mind wide open as my wife says to me often). Its only been 15-17 months but I have actually done it. Alright Gordon, let me know if we are on the right path.[p]I did these for 2.5 hr at 225 deg over my H20 drip pan - I now have them in foil over it for 1 hr and then I will go indirect another 45 min and then direct 45 min and add sauce. Sound right??[p]TIM

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tim M, looks good - if you like sauce, you can even start applying right after they come out of the foil. I also let the temp increase during the last part of the cook. Just do the wiggle trick when you take them off. Good luck. Love Ribs!

• Tim M
    Options
    Gfw,[p]OK all you rib lovers out there - thry this recipe. This turned out much better than I hoped it would. I should have trusted Gordon more (ha, that is my dads name- gordon moore). That last 1.5 hrs after they were in foil really firms them up. They looked kinda - boiled after the foil, but after 1.5 hr with 45 min of that direct (could have been all direct too) they were very juicy, had a nice crust of burnt sauce and one bite often pulled it all from the bone. But they had no tendency to fall off in your lap. [p]Certainly worth a try and very much "fall`n off the bone" tender.
    see link below to go to the page itself on my site[p]Tim

[ul][li]Ribs - foil wrapped tender - Tim M[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tim, really glad you liked the ribs - now you know why I make them EVERY week - I LOVE RIBS (and a few brews)! [p]BUT... giving credit where credit is due, I got the start from George T. He lives down the road a mile (actually about 14) and he originally posted (check out the link) his 3-2-1 method on the BGE forum 20 days after I purchased my BGE - I merely adopted it to my taste. [p]Damn, this forum is great! Couldn't you just imagine a large BGE filled with baby back ribs at EGGtoberfest 2000? [p]AND... I also totally agree with Tim, Spicecooks, George T and lots of emails that I get after the initial results - try 'em, I really think you'll like 'em! [p]Have a great evening - think BBQ![p]

[ul][li]George T's 3-2-1 Apple Juice Ribs[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Options
    Gfw,
    I went back and looked up some old posts, etc. I still recall Rev Jim (he was going to have Eggfest2000 at some church parking lot in Maryland) and he first started posting about foil wrapped ribs. I tried them and was not happy. I recall George T later and his 3-2-1 method, but after the ones I had done I wanted no part of that again soon. Well, 13-16 months later my "open mind" finally allowed me to try them again - this way is much better. I bet even JJ would say they were OK. Boy, talk about a challenge? Will he or won't he?? I would suggest everyone try the 2.5-1-1.5 method.[p]Tim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    Just jumping in here....Reverand Jim is not the "Eggfest 2000 at a church parking lot" guy!! [p]That was some guy named JD Chip. He came out of nowhere, and announced a date for a big BGE cookoff in Greenbelt Maryland (if I remember correctly). Then we never heard from him again. Never did figure that one out. He SEEMED psyched about it. Just blew in and out....whoooosh![p]Glad the ribs worked out.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    What are you - going for the Millionaire show?? [p]Yea, you may be correct - that guy with the parking lot was really out in left field.[p]Tim

• Unknown
    Options
    Tim M,
    I found his original post. Looks like I done remembered it rot! I think he followed up a week or two later with the location. Then POOF!![p]No more JD Chip.

[ul][li]JD Chip gets psyched[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Tim M,
    Rev Jim was going to let us use his church parking lot in Atlanta last year for Eggtoberfest,the only problem was no beer allowed,so we ended up back at the american legion.
    YB