Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Chef Wil - re: your cheese cake recipe

Options
Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 441
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two questions:
Have you ever tried to use ginger snaps in lieu of the vanilla wafers?[p]Adding in the booze (I assume you add in 1/4 cup of one of those... LOL) I know, dumb question... but is that correct?[p]Thanks! Will be trying it soon!!! Joe

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    oops... that is what I really ment. Joe

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    yes you can use ginger snaps, you can also use oreo cookies but that doesnt fair well with the other ingredients. I prefer not to use ginger snaps or graham crackers because the flavor is too strong and takes away from the cheesecake.[p]THE LIQUOR QUESTION ????
    Line up all 8 liquors, choose only one for the cheesecake and the other 7 are ingested every 15 mintes or until the cake is cooled or until you fall..........hehehe

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Thanks for your reply! I see your point on the crust.[p]I like you plan for the liquor(s)... I would probably come back for a second round anf then fall... Heee! [p]Thanks again!!! Joe

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    I see a great interest in the pumpkin cheesecake for the 2nd Thanksgiving go-round (Canada had the REAL thanksgiving almost a month ago! LOL) and Kenny/Hatch of Dizzy Pig south did an outstanding job with their pumpkin cheesecake entry at the Jack, but DP North also did a cheesecake entry and it was a Maple Syrup Cheesecake. Also a nice fall/Thanksgiving themed dessert and, just a slight aside, it did finish ahead of the DP south entry at the Jack....wink wink... It's up for grabs if you, or anyone else here, wanna try something for Thanksgiving with a maple syrup twist......
    Qfan

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    mike, first congrats on the fine showing at the jack. .. .[p]second. . .quit teasing and just give us the recipe!!!!![p]thanks[p]max

• BBQfan1
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Direct off the recipegoldmine page, this is the Arlington Inn, Vermont Maple Syrup Cheesecake recipe. All we did was add maple candy maple leaves as decoration. Oh yeah, we also used pre-crushed Honey Graham crust mix rather than crushing the crackers ourselves...
    Yes, we did bake this recipe in the Egg too; indirect over a pizza stone and a pan of shallow water....
    Crust
    24 (5 x 2 1/2-inch) graham crackers
    1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
    1/2 cup pure maple syrup (preferably Grade B)[p]In a food processor finely grind graham crackers (you will have about 3 1/2 cups). Melt butter. In a large bowl stir together graham cracker crumbs, butter, and maple syrup and press evenly into bottom and up side of a 10-inch springform pan. Wrap bottom and side of pan with 2 layers of heavy-duty foil to avoid leakage.[p]Filling
    32 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1 cup pure maple syrup (preferably Grade B)
    4 large eggs
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup heavy cream[p]Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.[p]In bowl of a standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment or in a food processor beat cream cheese on low speed, scraping down side of bowl occasionally, until smooth. Add syrup and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and cream and beat until just combined.[p]Pour filling into crust and bake in middle of oven 1 hour (cake will not be set in center but will set as it chills). Cool cake in pan on a rack. Chill cake, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 4 days.[p]Remove side of pan. Serve cheesecake in wedges, drizzled with maple syrup.[p][p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    LOL. Not only did you finish a couple spots ahead of Hatch's creation, but you actually have a computer and can post the recipe! Chalk up a cupla big points.[p]Nice job at the Jack buddy.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • VW Gal
    VW Gal Posts: 42
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]Just curious...why the shallow pan of water?
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    I'm surprised they didn't DQ you for marking with those maple leaves...lol.[p]Sneaky dang Canadians!![p]I was great finally getting to meet you all at the Jack...great job guys.

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    vwgal,
    to disperse the heat and give you a better or more even cooking environment, aka water bath.

• BBQfan1
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    You are correct, sir!
    We did the same recipe at the Canadian Open, without the water pan and the crust came out a touch burned. We went with the pan of water this time around (and a bit lower temp) and it came out well.
    Live and learn!
    Qfan

• BBQfan1
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Just goes to show you the crap shoot that is a bbq contest; when Kenny brought his creation over to our site, our dessert chef (Adrienne this time around) said, "well, there goes our chance of winning". That's why you can't get too high or too low over the scores, regardless of the event or what your personal expectations are. We're proud of what we turned in, as I know you guys were too. Interesting rib scores though; Dizzy Pig N and S back to back in the middle of the pack!
    Qfan

• VW Gal
    VW Gal Posts: 42
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Thank you! :o)[p]Terri