Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electric charcoal lighter

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello folks,
I recently purchased the electric charcoal lighter sold at the BGE store in Atlanta. It works quite well but I have a question - small flakes of metal are falling off the exterior of the heating element. Is this normal or do I have a defective unit?[p]thanks in advance for any help and advice.[p]Brian P

Comments

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Brian P,[p]Yes, that's normal.[p]Bryan P.
  • BabyBoomBBQ ,
    thanks,[p]Brian P

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Brian P,
    Yep.
    Could'nt live without mine though.
    I use starter sticks when rain is threatening. And I have found that my electric starter gets things going much faster. Even though the starter sticks are suppose to be non-toxic the electric starter seems to be a lot cleaner too.[p]Just my 2 cents.

• Brian P,
    try a charcoal chimney....quicker, cleaner and doesn't need replacing...it is easy to leave an electric starter in a little too long and you burn it up....

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Brian P,
    I use an electric lighter with a chimney starter and like this method of getting a good spread of hot lump to fire up my egg. The longer I leave the starter plugged in, the more flaking of surface metal will appear. I leave the electric starter plugged in just long enough to get the lump started then unplug and remove it from the chimney because the chimney will take over and do a good job of getting the lump going. This method allows my starter to last longer. It's not the fastest way to start lump but I'm not in a hurry. I'm in a ritual.
    Clay

• nodock,
    Thanks. Do you use the eletric starter underneath the chimney as Clay does? What I have been doing is placing the starter deep in the lump pile so when I pull it out I get a nice distribution of lit coals. I then stir them around with the ash tool to spread them out even more. I'm new at this and still learning.[p]Brian P

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Brian P,
    I set the electric starter in the chimney from the top opening, dump in small and medium size lump, then plug it in. I do this in the egg on top of the fire box lump. When lump has started I pull the starter out of the chimney and let the lump get good and hot then dump glowing lump on top of my loaded lump in the fire box. The chimney gets the lump going in about 10 minutes. [p]What you are doing is ok- as long as you are satisfied with your start up and having fun.
    Good luck,
    Clay