Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HEEELLLP!!! Turkey Problems

greg
greg Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
12 1/2 lb Turkey on Large Egg. Vertical Roaster with aluminum foil drip pan underneath. 300-325 degrees for 4+ hours. I could not get the Turkey above 160 degrees. Where did I go wrong?[p]Thanks

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Greg,
    Where did you get the 160° temp?[p]First choice would be you need to let it go longer.
    Second choice would be you were maybe at too low of a temp. Gotta remember those dome temps can be up to 50° different sometimes...I find they are usually about 25° to 30° different which would mean you cooked at about 270° for 4 hours for a 12 pounder.[p]Higher temp or longer time.[p]HTH

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Greg,
    To add a thought to Bobby-Q's post, if it was a frozen bird are you sure it was fully defrosted????
    Just a thought.
    Good Luck,
    New Bob

• greg
    Bobby-Q,[p]The egg directions indicated the Turkey temperature should be 180 degrees when finished. My egg read 300-325 degrees the entire 4+ hours. The Turkey should have reached 180 degrees in no more than 3 hours/12-15 min per lb.[p]I had no idea the temp gauge could vary by 50 degrees.[p]Any other suggestions would be appreciated.[p]Thanks

• greg
    New Bob,
    I bought the Turkey fresh. The turkey sat in a refrigerator for 3 days before rinsing/cooking.[p]Any suggestions would be appreciated.[p]Thanks