Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

QBabe's Coffee-Crusted Pork Tenderloins

Options
Truck 511
Truck 511 Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a nice pork tenderloin that I just rubbed with QBabe's coffee rub. I noticed that the tenderloin has an 1/8 - 3/16 inch fat cap on one side. Do I need to cut it off or do I leave it on? As an experiment, I cut back the bottom half of the fat cap and put the rub under the fat and rolled the fat back into place. I placed the rub on top of the fat cap for the other half of the tenderloin. Let me know if I should cut off the fat. Its in the fridge for about 8 hours so I have time to fix it if necessary.

Comments

• Roadkill
    Options
    Truck511,
    Great receipe - used it on a large pork loin roast and left all fat intact. Only problem, I used Regular Coffee and got complaints that the coffee kept 3 of the party up all night! Next time, I'll use DeCafe!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Truck511,
    I've made it before and we loved it, but be sure to also make the sauce she recommends to go with it - that is kick butt stuff that will make people call you The Pit Master! As for fat - I'd cut the extra off, but suit yourself...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    Truck511,
    I hate to sound like a wise guy (and I know I sometimes do...) anyway, are you sure you have pork tenderloin and not pork loin. I haven't seen much "fat" on a pork tenderloin - just that silver-ish membrane or layer that I usually skin off. On pork loins I regularly see a thin layer of fat consistant to what you mentioned. Again, not being a jerk here - your description just sounded a bit odd to me. BTW - that coffee crusted pork (loin or tenderloin) is great! Be sure to make the Red Eye BBQ sauce too. It's a perfect compliment to the meat. Joe

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    I don't think you're a wise guy :o)[p]I think you are probably correct as I've seen the loin / tenderloin confusion posted here before. But you're right, it would be good on either, and I'll bet Truck511 will love the outcome.[p]You looked in great form in some of the Atlanta pics.[p]Take care.[p]Mike

• Truck 511
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Hi guys, I've just got back to the computer. I've been overseeding the lawn for the last 5 hours. [p]I think I've been using tenderloin and loin interchangeably. I did mean to say pork loin. [p]Thanks for all of the advice. This will be the first time I use my new Thermapen so it should be fun.[p]Matt

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Truck511,
    You'll find that the "Pen" is a great tool. You sound like a man after my own heart...overseeding, that is. I'm in the midst of overseeding 4 athletic fields as we speak.[p]"Pork" It's not just for breakfast, anymore! Keep 'em cooking![p]Mike