Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Cook Off Advice.

Options
YYZash
YYZash Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been talking a lot of smack at work about my BGE ever since I got it. Well I have finally been challenged. A co-worker has set-up a first annual cook-off for next Friday. Looks like there will be at least three competitors (maybe more as things develop). One thing for sure the response for judges is overwhelming. The initiator is planning to smoke a turkey on his smoker. I am not sure what my other friend is doing but he is a good cook with a Weber.[p]I was thinking about baby back ribs, I use a small butcher that leaves a lot of meat on, but so far they have been hit or miss. Really good or just ok not fall off the bone. I am also considering Nakid Whiz's Spatchcock Chicken since it is bullet proof, but I am not sure it will best the smoked turkey. [p]Another option is ABTs, shrimp, & chicken drummies. I have gotten good with all of the above and I will be able to feed people all afternoon and open up grill time for other people that can’t bring a grill. This option would show off the BGE from the cook's perspective, provide me with more entries, and give the "I could have whopped you with baby backs, but I thought I would share my grill. See you next year." Response. Thus insuring more experience with the egg before the heat is really on.[p]I could use any opinions on these options and or any other ideas or advice. Since I want the BGE to look its best for the locals.[p]Thanks, Daniel

Comments

• JeffHughes
    Options
    YYZash,[p]I'd knock em' dead with a Tri Tip roast...[p]If you can't get Tri Tip in your area, try a 2" thick prime grade NY Strip T-Rexed...[p]Either one would be a winner...[p]Good luck--Jeff

• YYZash
    YYZash Posts: 44
    Options
    Jeff Hughes, I called my butcher he said tri-tip is hard to get in Wisconsin (just not real popular) he could do it but recommended end cut choice prime rib. He said he could hook me up Tues. for $4.99/pound.[p]What do you guys think?

Edit; This is sounding real good to me, the price is right. I think I could still T-rex method and then cut it into strips and serve on top of some grilled asparagus.
  • YYZash,[p]The best way to show up his Weber is to make everything else equal - in other words, cook a turkey! [p]However, you should use a fresh turkey (as opposed to a frozen one) (or, better yet, smoke a few fresh turkey breasts if you can find them), brine your turkey and then do what I call "marinading with smoke". I use loads of apple and cherry chips to make the BGE smoke like a chimney. The result of a brined and smoked turkey is one that has a gorgeous mahogany color and is extremely moist. Even folks that normally avoid turkey breasts because they are dry will sing your praises!
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    TriTip.jpg
    <p />YYZash,[p]Pretty much nothing beats a Tri-Tip roast, my kids like it more then candy. I have been cooking it for about 6 years and I would take it over a ribeye anyday.
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 45
    Options
    YYZash,[p]To me, you can't beat your butcher's finest NY or filet mignon with DP Cow Lick, T-Rexd[p]Woody