Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

reuben

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,757
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
reuben001.jpg
<p />i used a grey corned beef (very light in tenderquick, mostly kosher salt, it cooks a grey brown color not red). soaked for a few hours and then injected it with some water that i had boiled with a head of garlic, some peppercorns and some penzey pickling spice. let it sit for a few hours and then smoked like a brisket. it made a descent pastrami. will try this some time with a store bought red cornbeef. for a rub i used garlic powder, black pepper and turbinado sugar.slaced real thin for reuben sandwiches. souarkraut,1000 islands, muenster and swiss on marbled rye. sorry about the picture, i broke my camera lcd and cant change the light settings anymore
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Beautiful! Absolutely my favorite sandwich.[p]Mike

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    if you're in methuen, i'd like to put in a standing order for a weekly reuben.
    how about $5?, ok ok $10.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    stike,
    Can you stop in Cambridge and drop one off for me? I'll pay the $10.00. That's one of my favorites.
    LOG

• bean town griller
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Nice looking sangie. Reuben happens to be my favorite and since the deli near my house (B&D) closed I haven't had one in nearly 2 months.[p]Anyone local (i.e. new england) have recommendations on a good deli or reuben eatin' establishment. I am willing to travel for this delicacy....[p]Thanks,
    bean town

• fishlessman
    Options
    stike,
    for 10 dollars i would have to add a pickle, cant believe i forgot the pickle on the side

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    bean town griller,
    my favorite place recently closed too, been over a year

fukahwee maine

• Joshua Kane
    Options
    bean town griller,[p]B&D are you in Brookline perhaps? I grew up not to far from there! Now I am in exile in Florida.[p]Have you trid Rubins on Harvard Street, or if you want a good treat, you should try the Shwarma at Ravi's....[p]-- Joshua[p]
  • bean town griller
    Options
    Joshua Kane,[p]Yes, I live in Brookline. Grew up in these parts, hey?
    I own a condo near Washington Square. Grew up in Maine, but have been living in Boston area for 10 years.[p]Florida exile - hope your enjoying that...[p]Yes, been to Rubins, but not the same as B&D (IMHO). Zaftigs would be the next place I would get a decent reuben, but always willing to try new establishments that are known for something I enjoy![p]Yup, Ravis is good, though I am partial to the Schwarma at Schwarma King on Beacon (around the street). [p]Take care and thanks for the suggestion,
    Bean town