Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

roasted green jalopenos the same as choptle?

eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
last week in my attempt to make salsa I also slow roasted a bunch of green jalapenos. I just ran them through the coffee grinder to make chilli powder.(if you do this were a dust mask, I think this is a key ingrediant to sneezy dust).[p]Any way I ended up with about 4 ounces of a jar of some CRAZY HOT chilli powder. I assume the red jalapenos are a little milder? I'm gonna head out into the rain and pick the last of the garden befor the snow gets here.[p]If anyone has any suggestions for the remaining few hundred peppers I would sure appreciate any ideas.[p]Scott

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    eggor,
    Not sure on this but I believe chipotle peppers are red jalapenos that are slowly dried and smoke over low heat like beef jerky.
    Clay

• eggor,
    Here's a link that talks about making chipotles.
    http://www.fatfree.com/archive/1997/jun/msg00412.html[p]Also, when I grind chiles in a coffee mill, I put a damp
    paper towel over the mill and it catches any dust that
    escapes. I wait a few minutes for the dust to settle before
    opening the mill and this seems to work pretty well. Grinding
    under an exhaust hood with the fan running also helps.

[ul][li]Chipotles[/ul]
  • eggor
    K_sqrd,[p]i guess i'm really getting confused. Do jalapenos go from green to black then to red? [p]Scott

• eggor,
    After a little digging, it looks like they can go from green
    to dark purple to red. Here is link to profile of the Jap.s[p]http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/profile_jalapeno.html[p]Check out the first section "The Plant".[p]Also, here is another link to the history and making of
    chipoltes.[p]http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/ndx_chipotle.asp[p]Part 2 is pretty interesting.

• eggor,
    Only red jalepenos are true chipotles; you can split them and remove the seeds, but then they are Capones (castrated ones!). My favorites from last year were actually the red serranos, but those were just smoked peppers.[p]I've done more than a few batches of peppers. A pain! Traditionally, chipotles are smoked with two pits and a connecting tunnel between them (i.e. in the ground), so only the smoke travels through the tunnel to the smoking pit with the peppers. I've improvised for the egg, and I've only accomplished modified recipies, though I've been what I feel is fairly successful. The lowest fire you can manage, for as long as you can. You want slow dried but not cooked or crisp, black peppers (from red). Restriction rings (thanks to Borders for that), small fires, etc. to make the egg cook slow are great ideas. I've also tried dividing the firebox for very small fires with some success, but then you have to re-stoke the fire every so often.[p]When I get tired or can't keep a low enough fire, I take them out and throw them in the dehydrator for as much as a couple more days at 125-140 degrees. You've gotten most of the smoke flavor by then and it's just a matter of slowly removing the rest of the moisture. Again, dried, but not crisp.[p]A chipotle in America is usually any dried chili pepper. The word chipotle is a contraction of chil-potle in the language of the Aztecs, where chil referred to the hot pepper and potle was derived from poctli, meaning smoked. Everything else is shades of language to my thinking.[p]Dried green jalepeños are Jalapeño chico to be specific, but they're probably chipotles, at least in the US.[p]Capones: This (commercially) rare smoked chile is a red jalapeño without seeds; the term means "castrated ones." It's still a chipotle. Milder, as you'ld imagine.[p]Cutting them up to aid drying doesn't seem to change them linguisticly[p]Here's some green ones from last year:[p]chipotle2.jpg
    and some mixed ones just getting started:
    chiliz01.JPG
    and a pile of smoked peppers ready to go in the dryer
    chiliz02.JPG[p]all best,
    HolySmokes

• eggor
    HolySmokes,looks like I just started to scrach the surface of just a new aspect of cooking. thanks for the tips. gotts to go and do a little more research.[p]Thaks for the heads up.[p]Scott

• eggor
    K_sqrd,[p]thanks for poosting the links, looks like just dryings peppers from the garden won't really give me the best of what i should be getting. [p]thanks again[p]Scott

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    eggor,[p]Here's a pretty complete link - probably more than you'll ever want to know. I researched this a couple years ago and decided it sounded like more trouble than it was worth! LOL[p]http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/profile_chipotles.html
  • eggor
    Pakak,[p]Thanks for the link, and hey, good to hear from you. Sounds like you had a nice vacation![p]Scott